SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Re-Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The admiral and I will be flying to Maine in early May this year to celebrate a big anniversary + 1. We were supposed to have done it last year, but one of us (not me!) ended up in the emergency room so it was postponed.

Anyway, we plan to spend a couple of nights in Bar Harbor and then a couple of nights mid-Maine (Belfast/Rockland/???). I'm looking for some suggestions on three items:

1) Any recommendations on B&Bs in the Bar Harbor and mid-Maine area? Something nice, quaint, and romantic would be great.
2) Recommendations on restaurants? The admiral is a definite foodie.
3) Finally, if possible, we'd like to get out for a sail. Anyone have any recommendations as to a good two hour/half-day charter?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Welshwind,

I'll assume you're driving.... a couple of suggestions:

Searsport -- the Maine Maritime Museum is definitely worth a visit if you're into maritime history. It probably is good for 1/2 a day or more as there are lots of things to see.

Camden -- A "postcard" town. One of the prettiest harbors in Maine, schooners coming an going all day. Good restaurants. We've changed crews there a couple of times and friends have enjoyed staying at the Lord Camden Inn in the middle of town on Rte 1. You can sail on anyone of several schooners (head boats), but May may be early season with few boats operating.

Rockland -- several good restaurants on the main street (Rte 1, again). We really enjoyed the Farnsworth Musuem which as an outstanding, multigenerational collection of Wyeth family paintings.

Enjoy and dress warmly --

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
For restaurants in Rockland, check out Cafe Miranda. I suggest downloading their menu beforehand as it is LONG. First time I went, took me 4 beers to decide what to order (no joke).

Also, In Good Company and The Lily Bistro are very good. In between those is Suzuki (sushi bar), also very good.

The Black Bull (across from the 3 above) is a pub with good pub grub and beer selection.

Primo is the place if you want to experience true 4 star dining...and you'll pay for it.

There are many good schooners and other sailing options between Camden & Rockland...do a little digging online for particulars.

·
Registered
702 Posts
When staying in Rockland for turnarounds on my schooner adventure last summer I was with a couple locals and heres what I got out of it:
-Cafe Mirandas is apparently one of the good restaurants there.
-I ate at suzuki and it was good but a little pricey just like all sushi
-The black bull is nice just normal pub food
-Whatever you do stay away from the Rockland Cafe many people have gotten sick from there food including myself
-the trade winds is an ok hotel but I would stay with a B&B, there is also a nice hotel up rte 1 that is fairly new.
-You really cant go wrong on the schooners the appledore out of Camden is a good boat and so is Olad from what I've heard from fellow crew.
-O and a good little diner is the brass compass on the corner by the trade winds is great for breakfast.
thats about all of Rockland

1 - 7 of 7 Posts