SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What size mainsail cover would I need for a C&C 27 Mk III?

There are some pre-made ones cheaper than ordering a new one, so just wondering if I should order 10, 11, 11.5 feet.

Thanks.

·
19,484 Posts
The "E" measurement for your boat is 10 feet.. so add the mast and a bit more, so at least 11, maybe the 11.5.

But the bigger issue is the girth of the flaked sail.. if it's a newer sail it can be quite bulky and a lot of 'OTC' sailcovers are too small. And even if the sail is old, soft and 'compact', your next one won't be.

These guys make an 'extendable' sail cover using a velcro panel so you can adjust the overall length.. but you can see how 'tight' it might be at the aft end..

http://www.blueperformance.com/pages/product_details.html?../images/products/sail-cover.jpg

I'd get one custom made by a sailmaker or canvas guy keeping in mind you may get a newer bulkier sail one day.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Extra ties at the bottom of the cover, if that area of the folded sail will remain exposed, won't help much since you're trying to protect the sail from UV. You won't remember the extra couple hundred in a year or so, but your sail could start showing UV damage by then if you haven't covered it well.
Although I fully sympathize with the basic idea. Maybe you could attach an extra flap of fabric along the inside of one lower edge. It would wrap around the bottom and be held in place by the ties. Sew it or even attach it with sail repair tape. Just a thought.
JV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.