SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we cruised for 9 days before finding that there was a specific sail trim guide prepared by Neil Pride (the sailmaker for this model). We screwed around with adjusting sail trim during the trip using various recommendations in several sail trim books but had mainsail fluttering. We downloaded the guide after our trip. Despite following the guide and adjusting the main leach etc we still get fluttering in the upper 1/3 of the sail during 8+ knots of wind. I am wondering if the either the sail was stretched by the previous owner (this was a dealer model that had been taken to several shows and used as a demo boat for 2 seasons) or is this a function of an inmast furling system. Adjustments to the boom vang and mainsheet etc. don't seem to get rid of the fluttering.

They never put the tell tales on the main sheet so we have a disadvantage there. We are waiting for a calm day to add these.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I was hoping that there was some other adjustment that I was not doing. I may see if I can get an experienced sailor to come along with us one afternoon to see if they can help us tweak it.

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,039 Posts
I've found the standard Neil Pryde sails that come with a Beneteau to be less than what one should expect. When I first got my 393 five years ago I discussed this with one of their reps. I was finally told that these sails are built to a price point (read cheap!) and if I wanted a better sail I should order a real Neil Pryde sail.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's interesting. Did you have an issue with fluttering on your main, too. Or are you just saying in general the sails are cheap -- don't hold up, stretch out etc ? Did you replace them? Any idea on what a new main for a 40 footer might run?

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,039 Posts
I had a problem with the UV strip coming off the genny. It was like it was painted on. I get a lot of flutter in the main too but would have to be an acrobat or gymnast to get at the leech line so I let it flutter. Mine has no battens, no roach either :) but it's usually blowing pretty good in my cruising grounds so other than being a bit annoying and bad for the sail it doesn't bother me too much. As for a new main, give Neil Pryde a call, they'll tell you how the new sail will differ from the made for Beneteau sail.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
MAINSAILS
Inshore Cross-cut Mainsail $2619.00
Inshore Tri-Radial Mainsail $3652.00
Offshore Cross-cut Mainsail $3108.00
Offshore Tri-Radial Mainsail $4196.00
Pentex Club Racing Mainsail $4244.00

from FX online sails quote. With reef point, sail numbers, ensignia, etc comes to 2800 for the cheapy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it is comforting that we weren't doing anything wrong. My son (who has some obsessive compulsive tendencies) was going crazy trying to make adjustments to the leach line while we were sailing. He's 6 foot tall and he can barely reach them. While we are out without him we don't have a prayer of reaching them.

We are concernced about damaging the sails but it sounds like it is the design, material and construction of the sail that are causing this fluttering problem and no remedy other than what we have tried will work.

After having just spent all this money buying the boat and outfitting it for cruising we won't be buying new sails this season. We'll have to let it go this year.

I thought the boat doesn't point that well and I was told that that is the trade off with a in mast furling main. All in all we love the boat. Making a leach line adjustment should have been better planned out on the boat for shorter people. Everything else is geared to adjusting while in the cockpit,it seems like they could have done something to alleviate this fluttering issue. Never thought they'd compromise on the sails or that Neil pride would put their name on an inferior product.

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
A friend of mine has a boat with an in-mast furling, triangular, no-batten main and he has to adjust his leech line quite often. Since the sail stays rolled around the drum for most of its life, the leech is cupped and the leech line needs to be adjusted depending on which tack he's on. He has to adjust it with a boat pole.

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
We have a B43 with the roller furling, vertical batten main and don't experience any fluttering. I'd add the tell tales and take her out and see what you get. I suspect you may not have had the mainsheet set properly. The other thing that comes to mind is the 8Kts of wind you were sailing in. For a 40' boat you're not going to get a whole lot of fill in the sails with that amount of wind. If you're not trimmed just right and pointing too high you'll get flutter. I doubt demo sailing would have stretched the main out of shape.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it just the leech that is fluttering? How much of the back edge is fluttering? 3" or 2 feet?

The sail is fluttering not luffing. So it is probably a few inches of the sail on the outer edge at the top 1/3 of the sail.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have a B43 with the roller furling, vertical batten main and don't experience any fluttering. I'd add the tell tales and take her out and see what you get. I suspect you may not have had the mainsheet set properly. The other thing that comes to mind is the 8Kts of wind you were sailing in. For a 40' boat you're not going to get a whole lot of fill in the sails with that amount of wind. If you're not trimmed just right and pointing too high you'll get flutter. I doubt demo sailing would have stretched the main out of shape.
We have come to realize that we can't point too high. I had not considered trying to use the boat pole to adjust the leach, that is a good idea. there have been a few ideas presented here, like cranking the boom vang too so these are all things we'll need to try. I did hear the B 43 sails better than the B40, not sure what they meant by that though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I haven't done this yet, but whenever I get a new mainsail I'll ask that the leech line be run over the head and down to the tack. That way the adjustment can be made at the mast rather than trying to reach the clew for the adjustment. I also experience flutter and it's difficult to adjust. I've tried easing the topping lift and moving the traveler out so more downward pull in put on the leech, but I still need to get to that leech line.

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
B43 vs B40

I did hear the B43 sails better than the B40, not sure what they meant by that though.[/QUOTE] I've heard the same thing and the only comments that supported it eluded to the D/L ratios, sail area, etc. Even if that's the case I've seen a number of 40s sailing quite well in light air so I don't think it's the model. Looks like you have a lot of good advice and more than a few things to check. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.