SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorting out the last annoyances on a fairly new-to-me PS 34. One of these annoyances is the mainsheet diameter is 9/16th of an inch, which seems and feels too big.

I'm curious to hear from other PS 34 owners what diameter you have for your mainsheet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am sorting out the last annoyances on a fairly new-to-me PS 34. One of these annoyances is the mainsheet diameter is 9/16th of an inch, which seems and feels too big.

I'm curious to hear from other PS 34 owners what diameter you have for your mainsheet.
The owners manual for the PSC 34 recommends ½" for the mainsheet and jib sheet. Halyards are recommended 7/16".

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I used 7/16" for the sheets on my C&C 35. I'll never understand why some people (and owner's manuals) use big lines for their running rigging. Bigger lines cost more, they often don't run freely through the blocks and they weigh down your sails in light air. I was guided in my choice of line sizes by the cordage manufacturer's recommendations. IMO, they know their own products better than the writers of owner's manuals.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I used 7/16" for the sheets on my C&C 35. I'll never understand why some people (and owner's manuals) use big lines for their running rigging. Bigger lines cost more, they often don't run freely through the blocks and they weigh down your sails in light air. I was guided in my choice of line sizes by the cordage manufacturer's recommendations. IMO, they know their own products better than the writers of owner's manuals.
Bigger lines don't necessarily cost more. Lower quality rope needs to be bigger to have the same strength and stretch characteristics as smaller diameter higher tech rope.

I have dealt with both extremes super strong small diameter lines on race boats that shred a pair of sailing gloves in a season, and big fat double braid thatis comfortable to grip but creates a lot of friction through blocks and fairleads.

The trick is to find a balance between the two extremes, and that really depends on the size and type of blocks and cleats your specific boat is rigged with.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,979 Posts
Recommendation is often about gripping and handling. I've had 1/2" and 7/16" and 3/8" for the cruising chute. Consider rope clutches, winch tails and sheaves.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,328 Posts
When we bought our P31-2 (10% kess sail area than the P34) it came with a 9/16" mainsheet which greatly resisted running through the blocks. We switched to 3/8" NER Dyneema Salsa braid which worked wonderfully, see

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When we bought our P31-2 (10% kess sail area than the P34) it came with a 9/16" mainsheet which greatly resisted running through the blocks. We switched to 3/8" NER Dyneema Salsa braid which worked wonderfully, see
It is very helpful to see what you are using for a boat of a similar size to mine and with the same type of mid-boom sheeting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts