SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Mercury 6 HP an I like to have on hand every piece of repair and maintenance item I'm likely to need so when I need it I don't have to go searching for it.

This is what I have acquired so far:

Two bottles of stabil
bottle of seafoam
two bottles of motor oil
one tube of lower unit oil.
One tube of grease
Impeller
Spark plug (came with boat)
Emergency starting cord (came with boat)
Wax
Zinc

I ordered or will get later:
Fuel filter
Manual (freakishly expensive)

What else could I reasonably keep in stock?

What kind of maintenance can reasonably be performed on an engine like this in the field and what tools would I need to perform it.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I have used a Mercury , 4 stroke very heavily for a number of years. I have gotten very good at stripping and cleaning the carb. You need a couple of screwdrivers - larger Philipps and a smallish flat. Also you need a socket and handle to take the plug out along with a gauge for the gap and some fine emery paper to clean the plug. Those are the main things other than an occasional oil change. I think you are in fresh water so you don't need to flush the engine.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I have a 6HP Tohatsu 4 stroke, same engine, I think. Sounds like you have it covered. The fuel filter is clear so you can see if anything large may be plugging it up. I carry a pint container in case I have any problem with the tank, hose or fittings.

If you feed it a spark plug once in a while, change the oil when it starts looking dark, it should run well for a long time. To avoid being sprayed with gas when disconnecting the fuel line at either end, loosen the filler cap to bleed off the pressure that builds up in the tank. The cap vent only vents inward until about 5 or more pounds accumulate.

Suggest you drain the carb if it isn't going to be used in a few days.

Paul T

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dabnis;2026706 Suggest you drain the carb if it isn't going to be used in a few days. Paul T[/QUOTE said:
I run it dry.
Is that just as good or better.

·
Captain Obvious
2,386 Posts
I have the same engine and it's durable but a real PITA. Mine needs the carb taken off and rebuilt every month.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I run it dry.
Is that just as good or better.
Draining gets as much gas out as possible. running it dry will leave a small amount of fuel in the bowl. Run it dry & then open the drain to see how much.
I have had a number of outboards, both 2 & 4 stroke since ethanol gas came to be. I have always drained the carb and used this additive:

Fuel Additives / Treatments | Berryman Products

I have had no fuel related problems except for the time I forgot to drain the carb on my Honda 2HP 4 stroke which was my fault. The float bow was full of debris.

If you drain it on the boat, suggest you place as rag under the drain to catch the drain screw if it comes all the way out.

Paul T

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Good list...when cruising for the dingy outboard, I'll bring a spare prop too incase I hit something...shear pin if it's got em, most new ones don't.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
We had our propeller fall off at an anchorage in a river with swift tidal currents in Ecuador. We had had several years use without a problem before hand and have absolutely no idea what happened to it. We dinghied over to visit another boat on in the anchorage and when we left we started the engine, put it into gear and … We had a spare prop purchased from a Mercury dealer in Florida just in case and when we tried to put in on it did not fit. This was after the dealer went into all his parts books to get right one. Needless to say, getting a prop in a small town in Ecuador was not happening (no one in developing countries seems to use less than 15 hp). Fortunately a friend was coming from Canada to sail to the Galapagos and he brought (the right) one.

As someone said, these motors are sturdy but the carb is crap. I am constantly stripping mine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You didn't indicate how much you use it. Do you motor a lot? Or is it just used to get in an out of the slip or mooring for about 10 minutes max per sail.

In my limited experience, and the fact that I have a 4 cycle Honda 5HP, I only use it with double the required amount of Stabil. When I did this with a generator on land, it always started and ran fine; when I didn't I was always tearing down the carb to clean out the gunk.

If the gas has stabil in it, its nice to already have some gas in the float bowl to get it started. Just my limited experience with motors. I don't use mine any more than I have to. I consider my boat a sail boat, with an emphasis on the word SAIL.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Tohatsu makes the mercury power head here a link to the tech manual download Tohatsu Outboard Motor - Owners Manuals. also I would recomnd getting a flushing plug for it
Good suggestion. In 1947 I bought my first outboard, a Johnson 5 HP 2 stroke. I ran it hard for 40 years, always flushed it out. I gave it to a friend for his duck boat, used in salt water. He didn't flush it out for a couple of years. It went to outboard heaven with hardening of the cooling system arteries, sad day.

Paul T

·
BJV
242 Posts
Had a merc 2 stroke 9.9 for 12 years, not a lick of problems.
Started dieing so bought a tohastu 9.8. Since then became an expert on pulling and stripping carb. Usually every 2 weeks, now about every four weeks since I have added a filter water seperator (seirra) on the transom. The carb I believe ia a horrible design which means you need very pure fuel, hard to find in places. Maint manual is an important tool. I have ratchet box wrenches which are helpfull and a good screwdriver set. Close to 90% of problemswith outboard is fuel issueso get very familiar with that. A good can of carb cleaner/lube is very useful

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Had a merc 2 stroke 9.9 for 12 years, not a lick of problems.
Started dieing so bought a tohastu 9.8. Since then became an expert on pulling and stripping carb. Usually every 2 weeks, now about every four weeks since I have added a filter water seperator (seirra) on the transom. The carb I believe ia a horrible design which means you need very pure fuel, hard to find in places. Maint manual is an important tool. I have ratchet box wrenches which are helpfull and a good screwdriver set. Close to 90% of problemswith outboard is fuel issueso get very familiar with that. A good can of carb cleaner/lube is very useful
I can only speak from my own experience. On many different motors, 2 & 4 stroke, I have always, except the one time I forgot, drained the carb unless I was going to use the motor in a few days, & used this additive. With the above exception I have had no fuel related problems.

Fuel Additives / Treatments | Berryman Products

Paul T

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the repair manual on order.
I don't know how to drain the carb yet.
Hopefully the manual will tell me.

So it looks Like a complete kit will include some

Carb cleaner
maybe a propeller

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
Hi all. I have a '96 9.9 hp Mariner. First year I owned it, it was nothing but trouble. Had to clean and or rebuild carb several times. Used stabil and others. Then began running out fuel each day after use...wella! No carb problems..starts easily etc.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hi all. I have a '96 9.9 hp Mariner. First year I owned it, it was nothing but trouble. Had to clean and or rebuild carb several times. Used stabil and others. Then began running out fuel each day after use...wella! No carb problems..starts easily etc.
I started doing the same thing...so far so good for a couple of months.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
do it on ALL CARBED ENGINES...

my pet peeve with my motorcyle group rides was riders who always let the petcock on...

make it a law that you always turn the fuel off before arriving at the dock or boat some 15-30 seconds before arriving and youll see how easily it will start next ride...

after each day or week make sure carb is drained. simple.

also always vent or loosen the gas cap no matter what epa or whoever says when in direct sunlight.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I have the repair manual on order.
I don't know how to drain the carb yet.
Hopefully the manual will tell me.

So it looks Like a complete kit will include some

Carb cleaner
maybe a propeller
With the bow of the boat to your right the carb will be about 2/3rds of the way back. At the very bottom of the carb there is a slotted screw, facing you. Just back the screw out, doesn't have to be all the way out, easy to drop & loose.
Shake the motor a bit.

Suggest putting a rag under it to catch the gas & screw if you drop it. re-tighten the screw, just has to be snug, not super tight.

The one time I forgot to drain I was surprised how much debris formed in the float bowl. Draining is easy & gets as much gas out as possible, well worth the time.

Paul T

1 - 20 of 63 Posts