SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

"Maintenance Free" sealed lead acid batteries

6K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  john61ct 
#1 ·
I have always understood that so called "maintenance free" batteries were not truly maintenance free. Indeed, on my last boat I had to add water to my maintenance free batteries once in a while.

On our current boat we aren't getting anywhere near the rated capacity so I thought it was time to pull them and check the electrolyte levels. That is a bit of a job because all of the cabling has to be removed to get at them. The engine battery has the same housing as the house batteries so I thought I would pull that one first. The problem is, I can't figure out how to get the top off to access the cells. I have tried gently prying at different points but it seems awfully tight. I am wondering if these batteries are even meant to be opened or are they TRUELY maintenance free. I've never encountered a battery that can't be opened, but it feels like the plastic will break if I use any more force on these.

I thought I would put this out there before I proceed with applying more brute force. Should I be able to open these? If so, are there any tricks?

The little dot in the window is green, but I am only getting about 120ah out of a 550ah house bank before I reach the 50% level...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.