SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sailors.
I have two Barbarossa winches (I guess they are original and would be from 1981) wich are in need of maintence.
They wount "stop", so they go backwards if I let go of the line...
The problem is that I cant get them totally apart...
I have searched the internet after links and tips but found nothing, so I need your help here :)
Cant find any serialnumbers eighter.
Pictures below.
- How do I reach all of the gear out so I can Clean and grease?
- What is the best detergent?

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
9,111 Posts
Most winches are quite similar in construction. I'd go to the Lewmar site and watch their videos on similar size winches. Hopefully their pawls and springs, which are the parts you probably need, will fit your winch.
I'd cut a hole in a cardboard box or make a secure area to work because if you lose a part overboard you may not be able to replace it, and you'll be looking at big bucks for a new winch.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Capta
I'll keep that cardboard box in mind
Looks like i have to remove the whole winch, not the most servicefriendly winch but hey its 35 yrs old so what can one expect ?

Fair winds Capta

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Check the tech support from Harken. They bought this company and put their name on them initially. They have likely made a lot of changes, but should have some info on the original brand. Always known as very good quality winches, FWIW.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
Thanks Capta
I'll keep that cardboard box in mind
Looks like i have to remove the whole winch, not the most servicefriendly winch but hey its 35 yrs old so what can one expect ?

Fair winds Capta
I've run across others that had to be dismounted to be fully serviced.

Sounds like a simple pawl spring problem - maybe just gunked up with dried crud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the tech support from Harken. They bought this company and put their name on them initially. They have likely made a lot of changes, but should have some info on the original brand. Always known as very good quality winches, FWIW.
Thanks olson34!
I have tried their website but coyudnt find anything useful. I guess my weekend is set for dissambeling my winches and hope for the best :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts