SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in about 12 months we will be taking our yacht out of the water to do a complete bottom job. We will be going to the fiberglass, new awlgrip, new paint, new bottom paint. I have a fiberglass repair on the bow to do, do to our boat humping the dock when we lost steering. Its a 3' gouge, so its going to require some big work. So my question is this.
Should I use this opportunity to do a modification?
I notice most new boats have a blunt, sharp bow. It goes from the top to the bottom almost vertical, before sweeping back underwater. I believe it may have something to do with the ride quality. So this got me thinking, what if i added a bow with the same shape?

this is us now. What if i add a long thin (4-6") section, then sweep it back once 1-2' underwater? Would this make the ride better? I know this would give me 3' of water line length, and that would help with top speed. Has anyone done this to an existing boat?
I am thinking this may make the bow wave piercing.

·
19,488 Posts
IMO it would make your boat look weird.. to virtually no gain in performance that you'd notice...

Besides, one of the most common complaints from owners of newer boats with plumb bows is the difficulty in retrieving an anchor, esp in wind or chop, without digging a chunk out of the stem. Your present sloped overhang makes that pretty easy..

·
Barquito
3,682 Posts
I would think you would need to change the shape for a long way back from the bow to make the transition. More vertical bows produced recently may have more to do with rating rules and interior space than sailing performance.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Nah..... Don't do it, IMO the bow looks fine. A saw cuts better at an angle vs laying it flat. So a slanted bow slices water better than a plumb bow, your boat wasn't designed for it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Nah..... Don't do it, IMO the bow looks fine. A saw cuts better at an angle vs laying it flat. So a slanted bow slices water better than a plumb bow, your boat wasn't designed for it.
I think he said he tried to use the angled bow to saw through the wooden dock but the dock won. I think a flat saw has a better chance of sawing water then a angled bow does sawing wood.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
REALLY, REALLY bad idea.

Reactions: jzk

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
So much wrong with this idea... Figure you would have to rebuild at least the front third of the boat to get the shape right. It would be cheaper, and much easier to sell what you have and buy what you want.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure what they were thinking on some sailboat designs. This era of design was probably inspired by swept wings thinking boat will go supersonic. Oh they only forgot to put very long spike like they did on early efforts. It is your boat and if you can fix it to make it better go for it. Who knows teachers might finally learn something from gifted student who tried to improve.

·
Dirt Free
2,822 Posts
Its a 3' gouge, so its going to require some big work.
If you think a 3" gouge is a big job then what you are proposing must be considered a gargantuan task. To do something like this so it does not look like a patch job would likely take a highly experienced FRP tech a couple of months with no weekends off.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
The best way to make this modification would probably be to cut the bow of the boat off just forward of the mast. You would then be able to simply get rid of the gouged section and not have that "big work" to fix it at all. You could then add your plumb-bow replacement section. It will probably need reinforcing at the joint with the original hull, so the interior may have to be reconfigured in order to accommodate the likely flanges and carbon fiber, especially in the way of the mast step. (You may end up with 4' of headroom in this area.) Hopefully the rig won't need modifications, though by changing the underwater profile of the boat you will be changing how it balances under sail, so maybe you will want to change the rig too. That means new sails! Should a competent boatyard be able to do all this in about a week? Maybe! Hope springs eternal. If the bow doesn't break off, (the stress of the newer, stronger end may cause flexing and weaken the older, after section), you will have made your boat look quite different from how it looks now. Enjoy!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I would not do what you propose, however, the leading edge of the keel might be a place to modify. That in itself would be a big job, but if your Tayana's keel is anything like my T-37 then performance might be enhanced if the leading edge is more streamlined.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If you do this, you will be putting much effort into devaluing your boat. Surely there are other projects that warrant your time that would contribute to the value and use of your boat?

Well in about 12 months we will be taking our yacht out of the water to do a complete bottom job. We will be going to the fiberglass, new awlgrip, new paint, new bottom paint. I have a fiberglass repair on the bow to do, do to our boat humping the dock when we lost steering. Its a 3' gouge, so its going to require some big work. So my question is this.
Should I use this opportunity to do a modification?
I notice most new boats have a blunt, sharp bow. It goes from the top to the bottom almost vertical, before sweeping back underwater. I believe it may have something to do with the ride quality. So this got me thinking, what if i added a bow with the same shape?

this is us now. What if i add a long thin (4-6") section, then sweep it back once 1-2' underwater? Would this make the ride better? I know this would give me 3' of water line length, and that would help with top speed. Has anyone done this to an existing boat?
I am thinking this may make the bow wave piercing.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,489 Posts
In the end, I believe that it would be easier, and significantly cheaper to trade your vessel in on a newer boat with a plumb bow.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Not sure what they were thinking on some sailboat designs. This era of design was probably inspired by swept wings thinking boat will go supersonic. Oh they only forgot to put very long spike like they did on early efforts. It is your boat and if you can fix it to make it better go for it. Who knows teachers might finally learn something from gifted student who tried to improve.
I don't know, Pieter Beeldsnijder seems to know a thing or two about yacht design... I doubt this will qualify as an example of a guy with 2,500 boats built to his designs - a couple of dozen of those built by Royal Huismann - "finally learning" something more about designing boats from "a gifted student"... :)

http://www.pieterbeeldsnijder.nl/pages/emenulist.aspx?m=PBDESIGN&cm=403

·
Registered
570 Posts
Agree, really, really bad idea! You bought one boat design, and now you want another? This is not a simple fix. After you have worked on it yourself for a few months, and then given it to someone qualified to do it correctly, you will have more than you paid for the boat into this "streamlining" job. YOu will also probably lose about a year in the effort between your work and a qualified yards work to fix it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Great idea if you are only concerned with people believing you have a newer boat than you actually do;)

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
It seems the OP is asking whether extending the length of the waterline will allow them to sail faster given the increased theoretical hull speed?

Basic theoretical question is understandable, however, the overall shape of the hull at all heel angles is as critical to performance. Think of it this way. Put a square box in the water and it isn't going to get to theoretical hull speed with a sail on it and making it longer won't change anything. There is much more to it than just bolting on an extension.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts