SailNet Community banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Rich-

I wouldn't use plexiglass. If the stuff cracks or snaps under the strains of use as a batten, it will quickly shred your sails.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
On a larger boat, fiberglass battens may make more sense, since the weight and stiffness of hardwood battens, compared to extruded fiberglass ones, may not be as appropriate. Many sailmakers will have batten stock for sale.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
I see we'll need the extra heavy duty batten stock then. :) If he had his boat type in his sig... it would make things so much easier.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Well done Rich... I'm in the Boston area, so if you want a hand, give me a shout. :)

One of my current projects is refurbing a 1973 O'Day Javelin 14' daysailer. :)

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Only works if you need battens a yard in length or shorter.
Best batten material I have found is the "unbreakable" yardsticks. Wood yardsticks work too, but the unbreakable ones will not warp or absorb water. I have equipped more than one charter boats with missing battens this way :) But when the sail gets wet you can see the numbers...

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
This would be good advice if it was accurate, BUT IT ISN'T.

Plexiglas, Limacryl, R-Cast,Per-Clax, Perspex, Plazcryl, Acrylex, Acrylite, Acrylplast, Altuglas, Polycast, are all names for various forms of ACRYLIC.

Polycarbonate is something else entirely, and often referred to by the trade name of Lexan.

A note on plastic materials. Acrylic is brittle and will shatter. Plexiglas (Polycarbonate) on the other hand is very flexible in the thinner sizes. I can take a 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 24" piece and darn near bend it in half before it breaks. More so than any wood will perform. And it doesn't warp. The best bet is still fiberglass batten stock. Google it and you will find it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.