SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...

So the new solar vents from Nicro would not fit where the old passive ones were, so they had to move over, about an inch or so. So where there was a round hole, there is now an oval hole.

That means when the new one goes in there is a big gap between the deck and the vent, on one side of the hole.

I'm thinking of just filling the new gaps with Marine Tex, but id there a better way?

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay, I can do that...

I am thinking I'll have to cut the hole bigger in order to have room for the new fiberglass to adhere, and then not cut the new joint. Here are some pictures of the original hole:

Jims Scampi 30 - wierd chainplate covers

After I widened to round hole to make it oval:

Some test fit pictures:

That core material between the top two fiberglass layers is very hard plywood. I'm not sure the bottom layer is actually fiberglass, it seems like some kind of thin plastic liner.

Originally someone apparently did remove some of the plywood and replace it with epoxy. In the event that I can't grind the bottom layer, is doing just the top going to be strong enough?

EDIT: When I use the IMG tag (with the square brackets of course) nothing shows up. How do you guys post images inline with your posts?

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MarineTex is epoxy putty, it is perfect for the repair. A lot less fuss than fiberglass, totally compatible, perfectly stable and at least as strong. You can make a more complicated repair, you can make a more expensive repair, but I doubt you can make a better repair for this job.
well if I do it that way instead of regalssing it, how do I get the MarineTex to adhere? Would I remove some of the coring material back maybe half an inch then fill from there? I am not familliar with core material, but this seems to be plywood and it is EXTREMELY hard :(

I was thinking wax paper around the trim ring, then fitting the trim ring into place, would define the gap that needs to be filled.

Yes, it is an ugly hole. The diameter of the vent body exceeds the hole at the hole's widest part, which means I can seal the vent down with butyl tape or 3M 101 or 4000UV, and it should be water tight. I mostly think the hole needs to be closed because I want to screw the vent down to the deck, and one of the 3 screw holes would be over the void.

As for the inside, that is a cosmetic issue. I can make a plastic donut to extend the flange of the trim ring to hide the putty from below.

I have not decided how to do it yet...

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SD, what can be used as replacement core material? The core int here seems to be plywood, although it is extremely hard. Can I just use plywood from Home Depot or do i need to find something spacial?

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would suggest using end-grain balsa, like ContourKore, or a foam like Airex or Divinylcell. IMHO, it will create as stiff a deck as the plywood core material, but far lighter.
Interesting, thanks. Whenever I read about the balsa wood core on a sailboat, I think of the balsa wood airplanes I made many years ago. You know, the ones that cracked and shattered like a toothpick as soon as you looked at them too hard.

For this repair, I was thinking of biscuit joining (with glue of course) some wood to the existing plywood core, then using MarineTex to seal it in and join it to the fiberglass.

Is balsa wood something that can take a little abuse, or is it used mostly to keep the fiberglass panels away from each other when the boat is built?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.