SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Bender of Nails
66 Posts
Reaction score
Normally, when you're installing deck hardware over a core, you grind out the core material around the opening and fill it with bearshit (resin thickened with chopped strand). This takes the compression loads if you're through-bolting and provides a better hold if you're using screws.
Just as importantly, it seals the edge grain of the core material.

It looks like that was done with the original installation, judging by this pic:
Jims Scampi 30 - wierd chainplate covers

Epoxy thickened with cabosil should also do the trick, but some new coring and a layup are DEFINITELY the 'right' way to do that repair.

SD, for once I've got to disagree with you about balsa core...it's absolutely awful for compression loading, specifically from through bolts. Last fall, I laid up new primary winch pads on a homebuilt when the new owner wanted to use electric winches.
The bolts had been overtightened and compressed the balsa (like overdriving a wood screw). It was sealed up well so no water got in but the glass was spidercracked all around the fasteners. A leak in the seal could have (in time) pulled the loaded winch right off the deck. Ouch.
An advantage of using marine ply as a hard point in the core is that the veneers have a bit of 'spring', allowing the bolts to stay under tension.

· Bender of Nails
66 Posts
Reaction score
I was thinking about that today at work actually. I figured you must have meant panel loading rather than point loading - your post just didn't make sense otherwise.

My confidence in your posts took a stumble - your reply says that all's right with the world after all, ;) .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.