SailNet Community banner

Would you get ASA 101, 103, 104 to charter?

• Yes, I am inexperienced

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Yes, I am experienced but want to take ASA classes

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Yes, but only if I can test out and not have to take an expensive and time consuming course

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • No, I am experienced and should not need it

Votes: 29 60.4%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now experienced sailors and boat owners need an ASA 104 certificate to charter a bare-boat in Croatia. More destinations to come...

In the past I have bare-boated many destinations and needed no more proof of my abilities than my "Sailing Resume". Now I am told by The Moorings / Sunsail that I need ASA 104 certification to bareboat in Croatia. I asked around and it sounds like many other destinations will be enforcing this requirement in the near future.

I want to keep the costs and time down and I don't need a sailing school. We can use my Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit sailboat if we need to do an overnight demonstration (The ASA requirement calls for 48 hours). I haven't yet found anyone who can do that yet. The only thing I have found is a week-long course for $1200 and that does not include #101 and #103 (which I know I can test out of).

We only plan to bareboat for a week. If this gets too onerous or expensive I'm guessing that many boat owners like me will stop bare-boating and just sail in their home waters.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
They sky may not be falling. If sailors book chartering companies that don't put unnecessary certificates in the way of experienced sailors giving them money, then the "other" ones will have to follow suit. The market (we hope) will decide in the longer run.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
104 is recognized as the equivalent to an ICC. Find a school who can certify for an ICC.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
When I read your 1st post, I wondered, why ASA in Croatia? Why not any of the other recognized international standards. Or in your case a resume and maybe a checkout sail.

I wonder if insurance claims, damages are the impetus?

·
Registered
9,378 Posts

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Reactions: Capt Len

·
Registered
9,378 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jackdale, that was a very useful link.

So Croatia requires ASA or USSA certification.

What we need to know is are there schools or individual instructors who offer products (courses, checkouts, testing, whatever is needed) tailored to experienced boaters and boat owners? How much time would it take and what would it cost us?

That is the crux of the problem. Already I am beginning to feel like I have spent too much time at this just searching on the internet. I'm beginning to consider asking for my deposit back!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Argold, An ASA instructor can only offer a certification through a school. I'm guessing US sailing is similar.

Based on your resume, You might want to call or visit the schools in your area to see if they would be willing to let you test out, (written portion) without going through the on-water classes. They could test you, at the same time they are testing a regularly scheduled class, so that it would not require additional time on their part. ( you might want to suggest that to them)

They would incur fees for the exam and administration from ASA, but it's paperwork, so it could cost a lot less, since you don't need books or on water instruction.

It's really up to the school owner, whether or not they'd want to do this as a courtesy.
I'd explain the situation and "ask them nicely" ( Jack Nicholson). It might take a few calls to get a yes; but, I don't see it as a big deal on their part.

Good luck. If you strike out in Maryland, pm me. I can give you some contacts in N.J.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Tempest:

It seems my lot in life to always be breaking new ground (if you knew me you would know what I mean). If the trend towards ASA/USSA cert. for bare boating continues, either schools will offer solutions or I can imagine the charter business taking a big hit.

I shall contact the local Annapolis schools. Maybe they will see me as ramp to a new product offering and give me a break.

Are there any schools in Annapolis reading this thread?

·
Catamarans are the best
101 Posts
We tested out of 101, so I know you can test out of at least that. We took the tests in order to charter in croatia/greece, but as Moorings owners, the cost was minimal through the Moorings.
I'm glad we took the courses.
I'm not an ASA school, but if you want the books for ASA.. I have an extra set ASA 101,103,104.. 40% off the going rate. I think they are like new.

·
Registered
23,425 Posts
I will bet the charter companies are not crazy about this development either. However, I see more of it in the future, not less.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
*note to self*
DO NOT reserve charter or cruise in Croatia.
;)
Too bad, the coast there is stunning. I drove from Rijeka to Dubrovnik and back in 1972 (before I started sailing).

It is on my list.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,182 Posts
Based on your resume, You might want to call or visit the schools in your area to see if they would be willing to let you test out, (written portion) without going through the on-water classes. They could test you, at the same time they are testing a regularly scheduled class, so that it would not require additional time on their part. ( you might want to suggest that to them)

They would incur fees for the exam and administration from ASA, but it's paperwork, so it could cost a lot less, since you don't need books or on water instruction. ...
ASA tests include both a written exam and an on-the-water exam. If a school did accepted a challenge for an ASA 104 certification, the on-the-water exam would take most of a day, the cost of the instructor and vessel would likely be close to what you'd pay for the class...

·
Lookin' for an excuse ...
158 Posts
Do I to understand this correctly? Even someone with US Merchant Marine masters ticket would not qualify to charter unless they acquired an ASA certification?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts