SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying that my wife is no shrinking violet and not new to sailing.

What I'd like to toss out for the group (hopefully the "hers"). What types of things do we men tend to not think about when out fitting a boat for BOTH of us to enjoy.

There are the obvious potty related issues (taken care of) but what other things (if any) make it more comfortable for women? I just don't want to assume my priorities are one size fit all.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Great question seeing I'm nearing the end (stop laughing) of fitting out the boat. Some things I have done more for her than me:
1. Water heater
2. Sink in the head
3. Hand held shower
4. Adequate storage in galley

Other items to be considered:
Unbreakable mirror
hanging storage (do have hanging locker but no lining yet)

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually far as I'm concerned setting the boat for my wife is the same as setting it up for me, we like the same things which is why we are married!

If you don't know what your wife wants on the boat I suggest you ask her!
We do communicate quite well (maybe too well) when it comes to re-fit issues. I'm just soliciting suggestions so that when items come up on the long list of to-dos that I don't push items back on the priority list because from a man's point of view they aren't "necessary". That way I make sure to keep her feelings in mind during our discussions.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
And who knows, someone may suggest an item or arrangement that makes perfect sense but neither of you had considered.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
Pay attention to what is on the other side of storage. Make-up (presumably only for her) and meds (possibly for both of you) are temperature sensitive. Storage up against the side of the boat will be hotter in summer and colder in winter than storage well inside the boat. Storage up against the engine compartment will be rough on some items when the engine is running.

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
I'm straining my brain cell.

I can think of things I want as the cook, as the navigator, as the radioman, as a reader, as a host, as the only one who may be seasick.

I honestly can't think of anything different that I'd need as a woman.

But it's very sensitive of you to consider the question.

Reactions: emcentar

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
Actually, very little of a well set up boat needs to customized for the "little lady" I'm sure most of the women will agree.

As this thread was really setting up a boat, this is kind of off point; BUT! Almost without question, every "couple" I've known that are on a boat.... She's more a "visitor" then a real part of the whole boat ownership thing.

I go off like a maniac ( none of you ever see this) when I see women post about "his" boat. (it's really like she's talking about his mistress) She never has a name, or any thing tangible to add... other then "he said, my hubby wants.. my husband needs ... " (now you all know why I'm single and staying that way) LOL

But.. the single thing that the guys (not all, but some) don't do? LET HER SAIL THE BOAT!

"Here Hon" want to take the wheel"? Doesn't count! No sooner do you give it up, you take back. GIVE HER the respect and expectation that she can sail the boat without you hovering and snatching back CONTROL at the slightest hint of difficulty.

(I know... she just walks away and leaves it to you if she gets a little scared or overwhelmed) That is another discussion for the less militant LOL)

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, very little of a well set up boat needs to customized for the "little lady" I'm sure most of the women will agree.
I would never use the phrase "little lady". It really pisses me off that someone would read that into my post.

As this thread was really setting up a boat, this is kind of off point; BUT! Almost without question, every "couple" I've known that are on a boat.... She's more a "visitor" then a real part of the whole boat ownership thing.

I go off like a maniac ( none of you ever see this) when I see women post about "his" boat. (it's really like she's talking about his mistress) She never has a name, or any thing tangible to add... other then "he said, my hubby wants.. my husband needs ... " (now you all know why I'm single and staying that way) LOL
Once again, nope. We bought OUR boat together. We looked at it together, sat down and discussed it together and are equally as excited to refit, sail and enjoy it as a couple.

But.. the single thing that the guys (not all, but some) don't do? LET HER SAIL THE BOAT!

"Here Hon" want to take the wheel"? Doesn't count! No sooner do you give it up, you take back. GIVE HER the respect and expectation that she can sail the boat without you hovering and snatching back CONTROL at the slightest hint of difficulty.

(I know... she just walks away and leaves it to you if she gets a little scared or overwhelmed) That is another discussion for the less militant LOL)
It doesn't work that way for us. When we get to the dock, we decide who is going to skipper the boat for the day/night. Please note I didn't say drive the boat, I mean skipper the boat. As in the big cheese, the head honcho, etc... We decide this together because we both bring strengths. She has more deep water/off shore experience than I do. I have more experience on our home waters. Does this make either one of us better than the other? Nope. Just both bring something to the table.

This thread was my attempt to gather ideas on what makes a boat more comfortable from a woman's stand point. Not because she and I don't discuss what we want/need but because I want to be able to offer up ideas that she might not have thought about (most of her experience was on stripped down race boats). I see that this was a mistake on my part. If possible, please lock/delete this thread.

-Chris

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
Sorry you took my reply as personal Chris, it certainly was not meant with that in mind :) I did try to insert some humor to it. I own my boat an really it's set up for use of any woman. OK well I did put in A very good mirror:)

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sorry for being so defensive then.

I really am looking for advice for both of us. As I said above it a big difference between a stripped down racer and a cruiser. This is my first largish boat (22') and her first cruiser. So we'd really be thankful for suggestion and ok, I get it a mirror.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Mrs. B is small in stature and has a hard time bracing herself on the cockpit seats when we have a big heel going on. I’m trying to figure out how to install a cleat down the centerline of the cockpit. She would like a permanently installed table so she can brace against that.

Denise, not all women aspire to be Xena. Some want to be Gabrielle. Mrs. B can (and does) pretty much every type of task on our boat. (with the notable exception that she refuses to dock the boat). But, because she sails with a competent crew, she can hand off tasks when she no longer finds them enjoyable. This does mean that I get to drive when it is dark, raining, or otherwise blowing like stink. She prefers to drive in her “favorite” Freya weather (winds 10-15, low ground swell). I would rather she enjoy sailing than forcing her to endure things that she detests all for the sake of “equality”.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Chris, I think of a 22' er more like a daysailer or weekender than a cruiser. But, if you plan on weekend getaways.. You'll want a comfortable sleeping arrangement. maybe pick up a memory foam roll up mattress. Sheets, pillows..etc. Fans, or a way to keep cool. I had a nice wind scoop for my 22 catalina. maybe skeeter nets for the hatches and companionway, to keep the bugs out.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent suggestions. We re-covered the existing v-birth cushions and cut memory foam for the same(working on the rest of cushions now). We currently have battery powered fans but plan to replace those with some tied into a house bank when I re-wire the boat.

We've purchased netting to cover both the forward hatch and the popup.

We plan on spending a week on her mid-September! I know that is nothing for the live aboard folks, and the long term cruisers but its cruising to us.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
I was thinking of leds drilled in small holes in the frame of the mirror. (tiger maple) but... not likely ...

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, fancy mirror. I was thinking one that wasn't all wavy. See Denise you are already helping!

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have a french press we use when camping. I plan on removing that from the camping box and placing it on the boat!

Reactions: Minnesail
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.