SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading down to Marathon and Boot Key harbor after the 1st of the year. I have a Katadyn 40 watermaker and would like to know if it is advisable to use it in Boot Key harbor. I know that some people use watermakers down there and others would not. Just checking to see if there is any consensus.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
It's that, or pay five cents a gallon.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Second what Cam has said. The water in the harbor itself will probably contaminate and destroy the RO membrane. :)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I don't own a watermaker, but I thought Rule Number One was "don't make water where landlubbers crap".

I am also under the impression that the best time to make water is while you are running your engine to get beyond the three mile limit for pumping out your holding tank. Start engine and motor briskly out of harbour. Charge batteries. Get beyond three mile limit: empty tanks. Determine direction of current. Motor into current and get a mile "up range" from location of poo sea burial. Start watermaker and motor in lazy circles, watching for tell tale signs of sewage in the water from someone else using the approved method even further up range.

Shut down watermaker and motor back to Coliform Bay. Drop anchor; make ice cubes.

Did I miss something?

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Avoid diesel

Diesel fuel will also mess up the membrane. Even the slighest slick will cause damage.

Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts