SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I am not solo-sailing the new GF expects me to come back and pick her up if she decides to go swimming. :oops:

So I spent lux dollars, and I mean lux, on the latest MOB electronic thing.

MOB1 from Ocean Signal oceansignal.com is a small AIS/DSC transmitter (with GPS) that fits with a strap around the inflatable lifejacket so on inflation is auto fires off the VHF on my boat with a DSC distress call, and, an AIS MOB alarm and target.

The instructions take a pHD is language, and computer skills of a real geek to put in your MMSI - see video below.

Finally did it all and tested it today... forgetting to put a Testing call on VHF... so the bloody French Coast Guard (whatever) came hollering on the VHF about 3 seconds after the first test alarm.

Anyway, if you are super wealthy (or the GF is highetendly pretty)....

And the video of how an expert programs it. I kid you not, it took me a few tries!
https://oceansignal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/MOB1 Configuration.mp4

Mark

·
Registered
23,445 Posts
The Ocean Signal AIS is pretty popular. They sell out constantly.

We have full-on PLBs attached to our lifejackets. However, the PLBs do not activate automatically, like these AIS units do, and they will not display on the chartplotter's AIS receiver. Finding anyone or anything in large rollers would be very hard. Even the floating poles can be obstructed.

Now that we have an AIS receiver, we're defintely getting them before the next overnight. I'd just order them now, but I don't think the battery is user changeable, so I don't want to burn the calendar prematurely.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
23,445 Posts
They work in quite remote places too.
For those not familiar, just google map this place.
That article refers to a PLB, which is not exactly the same as what Mark is buying. You can think of a PLB as a wearable EPIRB. Same SARSAT network. The downside to PLB's is they can't be automatically triggered, if you go overboard unconscious. I don't know why that is. EPIRBs have hydro triggers.

The Ocean Signal device is an AIS transmitter. It's clever advantage is positions will appear on all receivers, within a few miles. They claim up to 5 miles, but I'll bet that's pushing it. Not sure. It can take a good quarter to half mile to get sails back down, when single handed, and a short handed crew will lose track of the MOB. This gives them a chance of circling back, by following the screen. I'm not aware of a plotter that displays a PLB signal.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Looks like a nice device. $300. U.S. I didn't read the entire manual, but it seems to me that limiting the device to operatiing (automatically) only with inflatable PFD''s limits the market. How hard and expensive would it be to add some kind of hydrostatic activation.

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like a nice device. $300. U.S. I didn't read the entire manual, but it seems to me that limiting the device to operatiing (automatically) only with inflatable PFD''s limits the market. How hard and expensive would it be to add some kind of hydrostatic activation.
Easy. The auto activation (and manual activation) just requires a slight tug on a bit of ribbon attached to grey panel under the 'eye'.
All the life jacket inflation does is pull on the ribbon. I assure you the 'pull' is very light as I set the thing off 3 times while trying to get the ribbon through the slot. You get 15 seconds to then turn it off.

BTW it takes a full 60 seconds to acquire
GPS and send out the AIS message.

·
Registered
214 Posts
one of my VHF students asked me about this one recently...

about $200, looks similar but smaller, intended for divers (who seem concerned about the dive boat not being there when they surface) but otherwise usable, strictly manual activation.
apparently per current Canadian rules, only the AIS functions in Canada, but elsewhere it does AIS-MOB plus DSC. Neat

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
one of my VHF students asked me about this one recently...

about $200, looks similar but smaller, intended for divers (who seem concerned about the dive boat not being there when they surface) but otherwise usable, strictly manual activation.
apparently per current Canadian rules, only the AIS functions in Canada, but elsewhere it does AIS-MOB plus DSC. Neat
Interesting. That is $200 CAD, and I see them for $150 USD.

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts