SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I saw this video. Quite distressing. Bravo to the crew though, for the recovery.

It appears that the MOB does not have a crotch or thigh straps on his PFD. I may be wrong on this.

This is the second time that I've seen inflatable PFDs in this position when they've been deployed. It definitely looks like it's trying to slip off of the wearer's head, and that's not a good thing.

I'm in the process of fitting crotch straps to my inflatable PFDs, but I haven't had a chance to test them when inflated, due to the water temperatures. I'll definitely be testing them when the water is warmer.

Can anyone tell for certain if the MOB in the video had a crotch strap?
Has anyone here fitted their PFDs with them? Tested them?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It appears that the MOB does not have a crotch or thigh straps on his PFD. I may be wrong on this.

Can anyone tell for certain if the MOB in the video had a crotch strap?
Has anyone here fitted their PFDs with them? Tested them?

Thoughts?
I believe the UK/EU PFD standards now require both crotch straps and spray hoods. As this appears to be a UK boat, it's likely the PFD was fitted with them. In the video he mentions his stray hood, so my guess is his vest had the straps as well. Who knows if he was wearing the straps?

I have four Spinlock deck vests with straps and hoods. The straps are a pain in the crotch to wear, but I'm sure they work better than a vest with no straps.

This guy was very lucky. You can see in the video that after 90 minutes in the water he wasn't able to help much with his rescue. Now imagine if, instead of a big strong racing crew, the only person left on deck was his spouse, or any single crew member, for that matter. Really hard to control the boat and get the MOB back on deck in those conditions.

I wonder if it would have taken over an hour to find him if he had a personal AIS attached to his vest. If the vessel had an AIS system and the MOB an AIS transmitter, they would have had his exact location on their chart plotter within minutes of him hitting the water. A personal locator beacon is next to worthless in this type of MOB situation.

SafeLink R10

1 - 4 of 4 Posts