SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to my wife and son who turned the wheel over to me at 10:00 PM each night, we made great time getting down here to Florida with our 14' Odyssey. It was not the trip I originally planned, but passing Hatteras was a lot easier going the inland route. The apparent wind was always right on the nose. :)

We surfed in NC. We surfed in FL at Ponce Inlet, where we took our Odyssey right onto the beach. We toured a swamp, from the comfort of a boardwalk. In Clearwater we saw Florida's west coast, and we are currently in Tampa. Tomorrow we go to swim with Manatees, after renting some kayaks.

Saturday we are on Marathon for a week.

We have beer on board and would love to get together with any Sailnet-ers in the area. We could also pick some things up on the way if anyone needs anything from an inland store.

Regards,
Brad
347-9 one eight -6621 cell

·
19,488 Posts
Sounds great, Brad!

Take a rain check until you're through the Panama and up the West Coast ;)

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
When you get to Marathon, be sure to go to the City Marina's Tiki Hut at 6 p.m. on Saturday Night. That's where you'll find my friend Randy Turner playing his guitar and singing, often accompanied by other musicians. Every morning at 9 a.m., there is a great chat on VHF channel 16 - low power only, a Marathon Sailors Net, which is always interesting and you can announce to anyone items for sale, introduce yourself and look for sailnetters. You'll find Marathon is difficult to leave. I ended up spending the entire winter there and loved every minute. Some wonderful people and lots of things to do.

Gary :cool:

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gary. We've been having a blast. Got here yesterday and snorkeled a Bahia Honda. Was murky but got us ready to snorkel offshore today. One of my kids found a big lobster today. We took pictures.

The kids did a typical tourist thing and got pictures with a parrot on their head.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks Gary. We've been having a blast. Got here yesterday and snorkeled a Bahia Honda. Was murky but got us ready to snorkel offshore today. One of my kids found a big lobster today. We took pictures.

The kids did a typical tourist thing and got pictures with a parrot on their head.

Regards,
Brad
:worthless:

Well, someone had to do it. :)

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Post the photos - we would all love to see them.

Here's the view from the tiki hut at Marathon City Marina where I played music every Saturday night for three months.

Boot Key Harbor mooring field from the Tiki Hut.

The mooring field at sunset.

Me snorkeling at Sombrero Reef, where you'll find mooring balls just for that purpose.

The Marathon Public Beach, which was deserted most weekdays.

Sure wish I were there right now!

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today we decided to not use the car at all. Our rented house on Marathon is in a small ocean-front community that has everything (small shops, coffee, liquor store, food store) lcose by, and includes access to a beach club.

I'll have to post some pictures, but want to figure out an easier way then using the ftp site that I usually use.

CruisingDad called me up. He's nearby and we're looking to get together for a burger and a beer.

Regards,
Brad

·
19,488 Posts
CruisingDad called me up. He's nearby and we're looking to get together for a burger and a beer.

Regards,
Brad

Be sure to take pictures then.. we want to know what he really looks like.. not the proxy he uses in his posts.. ;)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Post the photos - we would all love to see them.

Here's the view from the tiki hut at Marathon City Marina where I played music every Saturday night for three months.

Boot Key Harbor mooring field from the Tiki Hut.

The mooring field at sunset.

Me snorkeling at Sombrero Reef, where you'll find mooring balls just for that purpose.

The Marathon Public Beach, which was deserted most weekdays.

Sure wish I were there right now!

Some nice photos there, Gary! Time for conch fitters & a cold one. :)

Gary-2

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trying to attach pictures.

Attachments

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More

Attachments

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And more

Attachments

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More...

Attachments

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On Key West now for the fun at Mallory Square and some New Years celebration.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: night0wl

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today we went parasailing on the north side of Key West, and then snorkling at Fort Zachary Taylor on the south side. I saw a lobster nestled in the rocks there. We brought a couple cans of tuna fish (packed in water) and we filmed a little feeding frenzy among the little fishes along the shore, with a Go-Pro underwater camera.

Then the best part, dinner with CruisingDad, his wife, and their kids. Lovely people, and a really fun time.

We drive back north tomorrow. I hear NY is getting 6-10 inches of snow. It will be a bit of a shock after wearing shorts in paradise.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
995 Posts
Today we went parasailing on the north side of Key West, and then snorkling at Fort Zachary Taylor on the south side. I saw a lobster nestled in the rocks there. We brought a couple cans of tuna fish (packed in water) and we filmed a little feeding frenzy among the little fishes along the shore, with a Go-Pro underwater camera.

Then the best part, dinner with CruisingDad, his wife, and their kids. Lovely people, and a really fun time.

We drive back north tomorrow. I hear NY is getting 6-10 inches of snow. It will be a bit of a shock after wearing shorts in paradise.

Regards,
Brad
For those who have not met Brad and his family, they are absolutely fabulous people. We literally closed down Burdines and still sat outside talking! My only regret is that we didn't have more time together.

Thank you Brad for dinner and the boat warming gift. I sure hope we can meet up again in the future and return the generosity!!!

Brian

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Brian, maybe we can get together when I return in 2015, that's if my wife doesn't put a bullet in me before then. ;)

BTW: Did you have the opportunity to get to the Saturday Night Jams at Marathon City Marina Tiki Hut?

·
2,449 Posts
Today we decided to not use the car at all. Our rented house on Marathon is in a small ocean-front community that has everything (small shops, coffee, liquor store, food store) lcose by, and includes access to a beach club.

Regards,
Brad
Brad,
Just curious where you stayed in Marathon. Was it Key Colony Beach?

Jim

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Brad,
Just curious where you stayed in Marathon. Was it Key Colony Beach?

Jim
Yes. We rented from the outfit the merged with Exit Reality, Florida Key Rentals or something like that. They were recommended by Ken in Defender, while I was buying a new house battery.

Gary - we did not go to the Tiki Bar. Thanks for the recommendation. We were very happy resting after our daily adventures in the house and the (included) beach club in Key Colony Beach.

The 2 br 2 bath house was perfect, located on 8th street, right on a canal. $1,550 for the week, or something like that. Having a washer and dryer worked out well too.

We are "cruising" up the New Jersey Turnpike right now. We left Marathon less than 23 hours ago. We took shifts.

Regards,
Brad

1 - 20 of 25 Posts