SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Not a huge fan of sites that don't allow me to see content without registering first.. I'd rather know whether it is worth giving the site my information, before I am committed to doing so.

·
996 Posts
Karen, you say you are not commercial, yet you require an e-mail address and there is no advertising or anything for sale. May I ask exactly how you plan to support this site? Before I give my e-mail to anyone I want to know what I'm getting in to. Since I can't see anything of use on the site without registering I am reluctant to do so. Marinas.com provides all the info I need about a marina annd then some without being intrusive.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Exactly my point Cam... ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cam thanks for the link to Marinas.com it is most timely. We are planning on spending next fall/winter in the Bahamas. I am having our boat trucked from the Great Lakes to Florida and I need to find a marina to receive it and possibly do some upgrades.

Greg

·
996 Posts
Greg...if you want to do some work yourself and only need a yard to offload the boat and drop her in the water....CrackerBoy yard in Ft. Pierce is a good choice and cheap. Harbourtown Marina right on the other side of the creek from them is a good full service marina. From either it is about 15 miles to the Vero Beach Muni marina where you can hang on a mooring for about $10 a day and have FREE transportation on the hour to stores, shops, restaurants, West Marine etc. and get to know a whole bunch of other cruisers heading the same place as you are!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well it looks like the OP is a spammer - no responses.

In another liveaboard forum I'm in, a guy listed a link for a online database he had with all the pertinent info - but it was only for Florida. Later in the thread a woman mentioned that she searches for pump-out facilities by state being that they are usually located at marinas - why is it so hard to track down the marinas themselves?

Anywho, I thought that was a fantastic idea and I did just that for the entire East coast - from Canada to Texas. Most of the info I found had to be copied-pasted into a word doc, but I'm sure we could complie our own database. Maybe we could create a free yahoo group just for that one purpose. Anyone interested? I can't do all the work myself but, I'll do my area - Jersey shore. Are we all only concerned with ocean/bay marinas, or fresh water as well?

Just a thought.
Jim

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Kernix-

Marinas.com has the US pretty well covered IIRC. you might want to check them out, rather than re-inventing the wheel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
sailingdog said:
Kernix-

Marinas.com has the US pretty well covered IIRC. you might want to check them out, rather than re-inventing the wheel.
I found that site before and didn't find it useful - like in I type in Jersey I only get 21 hits, whereas when I searched for Pumpout facilities in NJ I found a pdf file with 167 names. Now could it be that there are some pumpout facilities where there isn't a marina perse? Don't know - still a newbie - you would have to answer that one. But how come in my list of pumpout facilities there is one in Cape May called Harborview Marina - note "marina" - and that name does not appear in the 21 hits at marinas.com when I searched for "jersey"?

Could it be because Harborview Marina does not have a website? If so, does that make it any less of a marina - no. What do you think?

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Kernix said:
I found that site before and didn't find it useful - like in I type in Jersey I only get 21 hits, whereas when I searched for Pumpout facilities in NJ I found a pdf file with 167 names. Now could it be that there are some pumpout facilities where there isn't a marina perse? Don't know - still a newbie - you would have to answer that one. But how come in my list of pumpout facilities there is one in Cape May called Harborview Marina - note "marina" - and that name does not appear in the 21 hits at marinas.com when I searched for "jersey"?

Could it be because Harborview Marina does not have a website? If so, does that make it any less of a marina - no. What do you think?
Some of those "pump out facilities" might be for RV's.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,901 Posts
Might want to give some people benefit of the doubt every so often :) .. From the Panbo blog today... They are not planning on using the mailing list to make money (right now)...

http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/001492.html

·
Registered
220 Posts
T34C said:
Some of those "pump out facilities" might be for RV's.
can't be 'cause so many of the "Names of Pumpout Facility" have "Marina" or "Yacht Club" or "Boat" in their names plus besides having column headers like "Hours", "Phone," they also have columns labeled "Lat. (N)/Long. (W)" and "Water Body" and "Largest Vessel (ft.0)" - that's info for boaters.

Here's the link for the pdf:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/cva-full.pdf

Now I have others on the East coast - what do you guys think? Can't do it alone.

Quittin time - remind me on Monday.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.