SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sail For Fun
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are seeking a marina where we can leave our boat on the trailer with the mast up. Does anyone have a suggestion for a marina with this option? We don't need winter storage, a mooring, or a slip, just a safe place to leave the boat on the trailer with the mast and rigging up.

A marina towards the southern section of the lake would be idea for us, perhaps near the bridge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Chipman Point marina near Orwell just south of Ticonderoga fits the bill. Dont go to the one just south of that as it fouls with weed horribly. Chipman stays clear all eummer.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Sail For Fun
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestion! We tried them last year but there was a power line between the ramp and the storage area. They were very nice folks and the location was good for us as well. I wonder if they were able to have that line moved. I just checked the google map of the area and did not see the power line. Maybe my memory is faulty from last year when I checked...

I will give them a ring since they were such nice folks.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have a friend with a Rhodes 19 there and he gets in and out just fine as long as you stay to the south on the ramp to avoid the branches to the north. You probably have a taller mast than he does I am guessing.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Sail For Fun
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips! We currently have a Flying Scot but are hoping to change to an affordable trailer cruiser this year. More time sailing less time setting up is our hopeful plan.

Now picking an affordable trailer cruiser is the current dilemma for our family of 3 (including our 5 year old daughter).

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Why have you decided against a mooring? We are on Lake Champlain to the north on a mooring at a cost of $950/season. You are already making the investment for the boat, now it's time to spend a little more to make sure you maximize the use of your investment. This is especially important with a little one in the mix. A big part of this is making everything as easy and fun as possible for all three of you. Rowing out to the boat in the dinghy with Dad is great fun, sitting around in the parking lot waiting for the boat to get launched, not so much. Our almost 8 year old was 3 when we bought our boat and we're now entering our 6th season as a family of 3. The mooring is a great place to hang out before and after sails, or to not even sail at all, and just fish and swim, and spend the night. Trust me on this one.

·
Sail For Fun
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestion and nice pictures! We have always dry sailed due to cost of the mooring, maintenance, and the ability to go to different lakes. We will consider a mooring if we can find a suitable family cruiser for this year! We love our Flying Scot but are hoping to move up to a pocket cruiser.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.