SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend told me most marinas have a minimum requirments of 35' for a liveaboard vessel!? Santa Barbara, California does not either does West Marina down in Ventura. What is the policy for other marinas on the West Coast?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I don't know about a minimum size, but about 4 years ago, I looked into live aboard slips in the SF bay area when my son took a job in that area. The idea was to beat the high cost of buying a house by purchasing a good size sailboat and keeping it in a slip as a live aboard. What we found was that most marinas in the area limited live aboards to about 10% of the slips and there was a 2-5 year waiting list typically. So in addition to size, you need to check availability.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Talk (politely) with the harbor master or the port authority.
We, just last weekend, were looking at a marina with the possibility of relocating in the next couple of years. They too have a no live-aboard policy, but the bottom line was, don't advertise your intentions and we won't ask questions. You MIGHT find that although there is a no live-aboard policy, the policy is not enforced. I have no idea how So Cal works, this was just my personal experience from the past weekend.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
No length requirements for liveaboard anywhere around here either BUT...some marinas have minimum length requirements for ANY boat designed to maximize slip rental income. i.e. you may OWN a 25' boat and put it in the slip but if the minimum is 35' then you will PAY the "rent" of a 35 footer. We have a 25 foot minimum here.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Dana Point has 35' requirement and additional fees, but it works as Sailortjk has said. If you are not a problem your dockmates will be happy you are there as security, become a PITA and you will have a problem.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know a few in San Diego that require 35' minimum, a working head, and weekly pump outs. They also charge an extra monthly fee on top of normal per foot slip fees.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Dana Point, Oceanside and most all of SD has a 35-36' min. LA fees are around 350.00 over & above std slip fees

·
I don't discuss my member
2,652 Posts
The San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission, which is the ruling authority on liveaboards in the Bay Area has a 24' minimum. I suspect that the individual marinas may be likely to enforce their own, longer minimum length.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You have to see some of the stuff that has showed up in this area

At one of the clubs there is and older person that lives on board over the summer and the boat has reached the it gets towed in and out of the slip ONCE a year

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have to see some of the stuff that has showed up in this area

At one of the clubs there is and older person that lives on board over the summer and the boat has reached the it gets towed in and out of the slip ONCE a year
I apologize, but I'm getting a little pissed about this ridicules policy. I don't think that living a board a boat causes the boat to be a POS. I know may POS boats that have not been visited for 5, even 10, years!!! And if they are attempting to regulate the quality of a boat, and it's occupants, by adopting a minimum lenght policy then they are simly asking people to park a bigger POS boat in the slip!!! Many people have crossed major oceans in boats smaller that 35'. Who's it say when they get to the other side they can live a board there boat that brought them there.

·
Siren 17
1,984 Posts
Around central Florida, the usual was a 35' minimum price for live-aboards, they don't care if your trying to live on a 8' rowboat. The simplest explanation is that people who live aboard use the shore facilities a lot more then weekenders. So they charge a minimum to cover the additional cost of everything from toilet paper in the shore head to water and cleaning. Most marinas I know have a time limit, my last marina put the cut off at 11 days, more then that and you were a live-aboard. With a wink and a nudge, I was told the same as cam, don't advertise and stay somewhere else every now and then, don't cause a fuss and they would't really care how many nights a month I stayed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any Length goes on the Chesapeake Bay!

At my marina near Baltimore, they allow liveaboards on any size boat. Several years ago - a fellow was living on a 25' Sailboat - even in the dead of winter!

Dr. George C&C 35 Nordic Nights - Old Bay Marina Baltimore

1 - 14 of 14 Posts