SailNet Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
I have up-sized my raw water pump for my AC...
It went from blowing not very cold air, to iceing up. I have cleaned the condenser, but it still freezes up. Has anyone done an upgrade on the fan to increase air flow? I feel like the AC has more capacity then the fan will allow for.

S/V Union Pacific : Cool it!

Its a marvair 16K unit.
Icing is a symptom of insufficient Freon not inadequate air flow. Given your comments on the thread dealing with Marine Pricing, I'm sure you can invent something yourself but if not, contact a knowledgeable marine AC technician who may be able to find and repair the leak and recharge your system and get you another year or two out of it before you replace it.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
FWIW The AC unit has a high and low pressure sensor and cut off.
Think PV=NRT and remember how "frosty" a CO2 Cartridge/CO2 Fire Extinguisher/Compressed Gas "Air Horn", or simply a Compressed Air Dust Blaster for your computer keyboard get when the pressure is released/blown off. The same thing is happening in your air handler...Low "Freon" or whatever passes for Freon in your particular system. BTDT...Got the T-Shirt.

Hey, don't take my word for it if you prefer. Google "Don Kollman", the Guru of marine AC/Refrigeration, and ask him. If you're lucky, he might respond. Or not. "Are you feeling lucky...?"

FWIW...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.