SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am working on a few articles for marine publications and would like to gather some data on marine batteries and their use.

The survey is quick and easy to complete. Please be honest in your answers. Dishonesty or exaggerating serves no purpose to the data I am looking for so please, please, please answer as honestly as you can.

Please note many answers can have multiple boxes checked.

Marine Battery Use Survey (LINK)

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Completed. Happy to give back a little for all you contribute to this forum.

FWIW, the survey didn't allow me to provide some details about my installation. For example, my new-to-me 1985 boat came with two equal Group 31 batteries and the stock Yanmar alternator with a 1-2-both-off switch. Last year I upgraded the system by adding main battery fuses, a Blue Sea battery combiner, and a 20 watt solar panel to keep things topped off since it's kept on a mooring.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Completed. Happy to give back a little for all you contribute to this forum.

FWIW, the survey didn't allow me to provide some details about my installation. For example, my new-to-me 1985 boat came with two equal Group 31 batteries and the stock Yanmar alternator with a 1-2-both-off switch. Last year I upgraded the system by adding main battery fuses, a Blue Sea battery combiner, and a 20 watt solar panel to keep things topped off since it's kept on a mooring.
I have added a few question dealing with that. They will be about 200+ results behind but by 2k+ should be fine results.

Most of your questions however were already in there such as fusing, solar etc...

·
al brazzi
2,088 Posts
Not enough time owning this boat to complete properly, but subscribed and studying. Definitely something I need to gain some control over. My previous boats were run-em until they give up and buy another battery. I need to treat them as a manageable expense.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Done. Shared this thread on FB so hopefully some of my friends will also chime in.

What's up with the 'is the fuse 7" from the positive terminal' questions? That would be very difficult to do in most installations since most batteries are more than 7" tall.

Curious to see the results.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
I completed the survey based on what he had onboard until we reached South Africa. We are making due with sealed truck batteries that we bought in SA because they fit into the batteries spaces we had. We could not buy 4D AGMs in South Africa without importing from the US at great cost. They had AGMs but they were the wrong footprint.

In your article it would be interesting to see discussion of batteries designed for solar power installations. They were generally available in parts of the world where you could not buy batteries designed for marine use.

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,579 Posts
We could not buy 4D AGMs in South Africa without importing from the US at great cost. They had AGMs but they were the wrong footprint.
That would be a good question: "is your battery bank what you would prefer or are you constrained by space, accessibility etc?"

Mine cant fit 220 amp hour batteries so I must have 165amp hour batts, and its inaccessible so I cant have golf cart batteries etc

Mark

Reactions: JimMcGee
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.