SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Marineforecaster
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Knowing about weather forecast is really important when you are travelling in yachts or if you are a part of the marine world. Whatever the experience and skills set it is important for ‘professionals’ to have up to date and reliable data about incoming weather conditions, sea state, wind state especially winds registering high on the Beaufort scale as a serious risk to life.
Marineforecaster data is among the best free marine weather forecasting applications, updated every six hours and is global, available in 9 international languages, like English, Greek, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Arabic and Turkish. The app is in use from more than 100000 serious sailing folks, worldwide in 200 countries and with more than 20000 weather calls per day, because people trust Marineforecaster and they do not take uncalculated risks. For them Marineforecaster is a must!
The Marineforecaster weather app is free to the user, and it supplies vital information for 3 days ahead, for every 3 hours. In addition, Marineforecaster provides important data about safe locations; ports and marinas with specifics including information about facilities and shelters, as well as information for suppliers for when you reach the port.
Should sea damage knock out the systems aboard Marineforecaster the global marine weather station app will assist you locate the nearest port, or marina and sail toward to safety, wherever you happen to be; Atlantic, Pacific, or Indian Oceans, Mediterranean and elsewhere.
We request all user to read the instruction in the app to ensure maximum safety and optimum value. Marineforecaster is every sailor’s best friend while on a yacht. So, download Marineforecaster app to get accurate prediction of marine weather and other related parameters related to the marine world. Please do not forget that sensible use and a personal duty of care is important to keep you safe.
SAY HELLO
We are constantly working hard on making the Marineforecaster app better and more useful for you. Please feel free to email us for any queries/suggestions/problems or if you just want to say hello. We would love to hear from you. If you have enjoyed any feature of the Marineforecaster app, do rate us positive on play store. Tell your friends about ensuring marine safety by use of Marineforecaster app.

New Upgrade/Update from 17th Nov 2016 - Android OS
WHAT'S NEW

1. Tides were added in weather forecast main screen "Find Location". A drop down arrow will reveal the new data.
2. A 'Info" button was added
3. A GPS location finder button was added
4. Track down your current position (GPS assistance), save it and navigate back with the new navigation tools that are available in "My Locations". For more info please refer to the "Help" option or check this
5. "Locations" can be exported in CSV format

PS: The navigation option was created to mark in it the fishing places we use for snorkeling, long lines, nets or simply to mark a point that we want to return to again in the future.
The Navigation Application has other uses, such as the possibility, after some disaster of the onboard navigational equipment, you can mark on the map the place where you want to sail by saving it use the navigation option of the application to get there.
Of course, the application does not contain charts to sail in straight line without knowing the waters and without having visual contact with the morphology of the specific region. So it should be used during the hours of the day when you will have enough light. In other cases, an absolute knowledge of the cruising area and shallow is needed.

·
Marineforecaster
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can it be run off of ssb or satphone? If so how big are the downloads?
Thanks for asking. The application works only on Android phones and tablets and later with iOs devices. If you got such an android device,the application "remembers" the last weather forecast of your favorite locations*** and you can see it even if there is no internet connection available. After 6 hours, marineforecaster will automatically renew forecast for your last search, if there is an active connection available to the Internet and will continue to do so every 6 hours until you quit the application.
*** This option works only with favorite locations saved

·
Marineforecaster
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Due to server maintenance from the weather provider, our application Marineforecaster, will not be able to show any data for the next few hours.We are sorry for any inconvenience caused!

·
Marineforecaster
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked it out and I will stick with passage weather accurate and out to 7 days
Thank you for checking Marineforecaster. I appreciate your time to give a review. Just want to say that we could also give a 7 or 15 days forecast but all weather models, and I mean all with no exception, are not able to predict the weather with accurancy for so many days ahead. And since we are dealing with the sea for me this is out of the question. You are mostly welcomed to try our live radar from our site Live Weather | Marine Forecaster- Your Mobile Weather Station
Best Regards,

Andreas Fois

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I have looked the app over and I like some of the features it has just not perticurlary the weather itself. Is there a way for users to give input to improve/ update the information shown. In my home area there is a yard shown that went out of bussiness and sold giving rise to a new yard at that location

·
Marineforecaster
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have looked the app over and I like some of the features it has just not perticurlary the weather itself. Is there a way for users to give input to improve/ update the information shown. In my home area there is a yard shown that went out of bussiness and sold giving rise to a new yard at that location
Thanks (again) for your reply. This option will be among others, the major update from April 2016.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Your website says you have built your own model. Would you compare and contrast with GFS, UKMET, the EU model, NAVGEM, etc? Is your model more than an aggregator and if so what is the value added?

It is clear you have an Internet-access only service and you have avoided answering outbound's question about the size of the dataset, critical to anyone using a satphone or pay-per-bit WiFi or cellular.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Dave as typical you pegged it.

Service nearly worthless for pro captains like you or mom and pop cruisers like me. not just about expense but seems better to go with Chris or Commanders at the end of the day. Get personalized weather routing either by voice on ssb/satphones, very brief downloads and someone actually looking out for you. Have not been impressed by any of the services where you plug in your polar and they tell you your route. Reality is weather is local, boat speed is how crew and the boat are doing/feeling. Doesn't seem helpful.

Coastal Passageweather and NOAA do just fine for me and those downloads are brief as well. If I want to look at more than girbs I'm going elsewhere to look at 500mb and charts.

But it's not even the money. I'd pay for a service who knew the general parameters of my boat/crew and gave me:
The next three/five days on my expected transit. Winds/sea state/water/air temp. Suggested course. And two/three lines of text outlining the big picture and heads up as to what to be scared about. Chris even tells me what to fly and general odds if I go this way or that the plus/minus. That's a big deal to me. Friends prefer commanders. But in either case that two way communication lowers your stress and its weather that's 99% of your stress.

Be great if transmission was very brief and there was some way they knew I got it.

Satphone companies tell you you can get service 24/7. Maybe it's me but very common to get half the file crash and need to do it again from the start. Similarly although I know my Ssb skills are woefully deficient even worse with that.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
I really support innovation. There is always the prospect for something better. The new NDFD GRIBs are an example of real innovation. Much better than direct numerical prediction model output although still not as good as synoptics. NOAA is working hard to support us.

This new product has yet to demonstrate that it is innovation and not just more of the same with more costs.

Chris Parker, like Herb Hilgenberg before him, provides real value in his advice. As a subscriber (or a listener) you will get more value if you have good weather products on the boat (like synoptics) so you are looking at what he is looking at and can SEE his interpretations in the context of the forecast. Chris' advice is not a replacement for good weather products on your boat; it is a valuable supplement.

Chris even tells me what to fly and general odds if I go this way or that the plus/minus. That's a big deal to me.
Agreed. Chris, again like Herb before him, keeps track of you. I think Chris actually does a better job than Herb of things like fuel capacity and sail inventory. Both are/were conservative so you have to keep reminding them that (in my case) in the search for 15 kts I'll risk 20-30 before accepting 5. *grin*

I'm a weather geek. It's important to me. I don't use Chris's service. I consider him a friend, a much more capable peer, and a mentor (together with Lee Chesneau). I recommend Chris and his offerings to cruisers above just about anyone for offshore forecasts and routing advice. I recommend Lee Chesneau and Frank Bohlen for training that makes you more capable and more self-sufficient. I still reread Frank Singleton's material as prep and review.

Satphone companies tell you you can get service 24/7. Maybe it's me but very common to get half the file crash and need to do it again from the start. Similarly although I know my Ssb skills are woefully deficient even worse with that.
Yep. Just because it looks like a cell phone doesn't mean it has the same level of service. PITA. With a good installation I still rate SSB over satphone.

·
Master Mariner
8,764 Posts
We left Newport Oct 8th, some years back, within an hour of a sister ship leaving from S. Mass, both heading for Bermuda.
I'd checked out Passage Weather and Gulfstream forecasts and was confident that this was as valuable as anything could be, for the next 48/70 hours, sailing into the Gulfstream generated weather and currents ahead. Our friends were going with a weather routing service. It wasn't like this was going to be a cruise, but more like a mad dash, being hurricane season and all.
We literally secured alongside the customs dock in St. George's, Bermuda minutes before a very strong southerly set in.
Our sister ship arrived some 40 hours later, having sustained some damage and had spent the 40 hour difference in some pretty unpleasant weather. Their weather service had indeed routed them around some currents we had encountered and informed them of the southerlies, but it could not account for the local Gulfstream generated weather that slowed them sufficiently that they were caught in the blow.
Personally, I'm leaning towards the cell phone app that translates fax to picture, though I'd prefer it for a PC.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Just wish insurance companies (which effect leave dates for many and I think the rallies) would wake up!!!!

Your window is NOT tied to calendar. This is even more true in recent years. Personally believe this another downstream consequence of climate change.

·
Marineforecaster
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Marineforecaster - New version Update for iOs and Android Platforms

What's new in this version:

1. New Hybrid map with nomenclature of the region to help find areas that are unknown to the user. The hybrid map also ensures the satellite image of the area, making it easier to identify the ground area. This is eg. good for those using a boat ramp for the first time, to check the status and position. Only for the Android version, the application make use of the possibilities offered by the implementation of Google Maps and gives the user the ability to drive from where he tied the boat to the point of his interest.
2. In all versions, the coordinates automatically enter holding for about 3 seconds our finger on the map, in the sea area we want to take forecast. If we know the coordinates, we can keystroke them. In previous versions there the (-) minus sign was missing, for areas coordinates start with minus. This feature was added!
3. Services The new service was added after many users request, who were in need to seek for engineers, parts, divers and in general assistance for services and materials, or accommodations to tie the boat to be powered with fuel or make repairs and generally all necessary assistance for being able to continue their journey. Currently included a few companies, mainly in Greece and sampled in America, which each month will be updated with new and other countries will be added over time. The new service includes a simple text category of service, address, phone and fax number and the company's website, where available, from where you can express much more information. You can click on the link of the website and open it on your browser as the link is active for easy service!
4. In all options, such as Marinas Services, Ports, Boat Ramps, Gas Stations, Restaurants and Services feature search option was added. With minor differences for users of iOs and of Android, you will find that the search is displayed with a magnifying glass (Android version) while iOs appears with a Search Box. Please note that the database is in English only for reasons of data economy. Therefore your search must be done with English characters and will contain the name or service you are looking for.

Click here for more information: Marine Forecaster- Your Mobile Weather Station

·
Marineforecaster
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your website says you have built your own model. Would you compare and contrast with GFS, UKMET, the EU model, NAVGEM, etc? Is your model more than an aggregator and if so what is the value added?

It is clear you have an Internet-access only service and you have avoided answering outbound's question about the size of the dataset, critical to anyone using a satphone or pay-per-bit WiFi or cellular.
Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I didn't get any notice from the forum for your post and rest following. Where did you read that ? ( Your website says you have built your own model.) My site says that ....The application communicates with WWO in real time to collect the most recent data. WWO delivers reliable and accurate weather information for any geo-point in the world.
I never avoid answering any question, even the wrong ones :)
So the app has a future that update the data every 6 hours in auto pilot for every saved location on My Locations option while internet is available. In case you don't want to use the satphone data for this (the use is few kbs since from My Locations option you don't load the whole map), the app keeps the last 3 days forecast available for use without the need to use the internet!
Rgds,

Andreas

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I didn't get any notice from the forum for your post and rest following. Where did you read that ? ( Your website says you have built your own model.) My site says that ....The application communicates with WWO in real time to collect the most recent data. WWO delivers reliable and accurate weather information for any geo-point in the world.
Perhaps I made an inappropriate assumption. I inferred that you were a principal of WWO. On the WWO website they say:

"We have developed our own weather forecasting model which delivers reliable and accurate weather information for any geo-point in the world." at About Us | World Weather Online .

Regardless, my question is not "wrong" since you are using their data you should be able to explain why their model is better than those from major governmental meteorological organizations. Compare and contrast. You did not answer that question.

Rereading your own website I see no indication of a display for important weather artifacts like fronts, lows, and highs.

·
Marineforecaster
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those captains who uses "more accurate weather forecasts" I must say this:

Have you ever read the National Weather Service disclaimer?
Cause if you do, among others you will read the following..."Timely delivery of data and products from this server through the Internet is not guaranteed...." and few lines later continues "......Before using information obtained from any NWS Web page special attention should be given to the date and time of the data and products being displayed. The user assumes the entire risk related to its use of information on NWS Web pages. NWS is provides such information "as is," and NWS disclaims any and all warranties, whether express or implied, including (without limitation) any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. In no event will NWS be liable to you or to any third party for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or exemplary damages or lost profit resulting from any use or misuse of this data."

I wonder how many of us have had a wrong forecast prediction from the so called weather forecasting reliable sources. By that saying, there is no model in the world (I am sorry NONE) that claims a 100% accurancy of the forecasts. So any of us who uses only one source of weather information is responsible for what happens next. Personally I use my own (Marineforecaster) and two more apps (different models of weather forecasting)for checking the weather. When I get similar forecasts I think that I might face no problem. Still I have my eyes open, my radio on and I am in contact with other captains who sail in the area of interest. This last option, my sailing buddies, is the most accurate, live accurate weather I can ever get. So late this year, Marineforecaster will apply this option. Live communication among captains to guarantee that sailing will be safer!
Sorry for not replying on time but I hope that I will be notify in the future for your posts from the forum's automated system. I am not avoiding to answer any questions, as implied in former post from a respectful member. In case you want to contact me directly you can use my facebook personal site https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005286585486 or my facebook app site: https://www.facebook.com/marineforecaster/ I will be glad to answer any questions you might have.
Thanks for using (or tried out) my app. Any helpfull advice to make the app better is most wellcomed!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts