SailNet Community banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
See the following link for multi-year Certifiate of Documentation info from the USCG NVDC ... https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/2291786
Thanks. Very odd system. It says a recreational vessel is allowed to just add more fees in the other box and put a note in comments. This went into effect just a couple of months ago.

This sentence was most informative.......

Beginning January 1, 2022, recreational CODs will be issued for a validity period of 5 years.
It's optional for now, but becomes standard in '22. I wonder if they'll refund if you cancel your document in under 5 years. There is no multi-year discount on the price schedule (even though they save the processing work each year). As I felt, when the fee first jumped, this is no more than a money grab.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
They
I just received an official-looking envelope from the Maritime Documentation Center, 100 24th St W Suite 1-1028, Billings MT 59102. Inside was a letter indicating that my vessel's documentation is set to expire and that for an additional fee, this organization was willing to renew my certificate of documentation.

WOW! What a service!! Just think that I can pay this private organization $75 and fill out their form and thereby not have to pay $26 and sign the form that the USCG sends me every year.

I thought that you all should know.

(What a friggin' scam...) :hothead
They're at it AGAIN this year. :mad:

I am currently in my Condo in MA, preparing to bring the boat to my home, and legal residence, in Florida. The USPS provides me with a scan of all the mail that is being delivered to both mailing addresses on a daily basis. Something I noticed in today's mail to Florida was this;

Hmmm... Delaware RETURN address with a California post mark. I smell fish...

Googling the address returns this:

Yes, this IS fish - old stinky fish! and they're trying to scam me AGAIN! :mad: :mad: 💩 :mad: :mad:

The REAL National Vessel Documentation Center is in West Virginia. Here is their address and contact info:
National Vessel Documentation Center
Hours of Operation: 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Address, Email, and Phone Information
NVDC Address:
USCG/National Vessel Documentation Center​
792 T J Jackson Drive​
Falling Waters, WV 25419​
NVDC Email Addresses:
Contact NVDC via E-Mail​
E-Mail address is [email protected]
Submit Applications via E-Mail​
E-Mail address is [email protected]
IMPORTANT: All attachments must be sent in .pdf format​
Here is a link to their website: National Vessel Documentation Center - Contact Info and there is a link on that page for vessel documentation renewals.

I hope that I have saved you some $

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
Always a good public service announcement. IIRC they’ve tweaked their name. Calling it a Portal sounds less official. But that logo sure is scam-ish. I swear their old name was more similar and even more deceptive.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
They go by more the one name and keep changing them. nothing really illegal and they do provide a service at a very high price but it is still wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey y'all I'm Marcus and I'm from LA!! I'm relatively new to the game and your responses are so helpful. So, I feel like I want to share my experience with y'all. I understand that people have different experiences with this National Vessel Documentation Center but I actually enjoyed their service last year for my boat registration. I don't mind paying the extra fee because they are doing all the hard work :) Yes, they might charge a bit much but they made the whole process super easy and convenient for me so idk I kinda liked that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been reading all of the comments and they all mentioned their high fee but it is cause they're a 3rd party that does all the work for you and I thought they made that pretty clear on their site so I don't know about yall but I kinda expected the whole thing. I attached a screenshot from their site that states that so I don't think they're fishy tho but just overcharge a few services. Idk what do yall think?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
The fact that these guys do not state what differentiates their "service" from that of the USCG National Vessel Documentation Center is misleading. The USCG NVDC does an excellent job for $26/year. Those who wish to pay $79 and provide the same information are free to do so, but they should be aware that there is no difference in service, other than the price.

ETA - Realize that 3 of @MarcusJames 6 posts are in this thread, and all are pro-Maritime Documentation Center. I'm not sure to what "game" he is new, but he has been a SailNet member since October 23, 2018. I now share the suspicion expressed by @TakeFive in post #58

However, as I stated in my November 2018 post; "
If you like paying 3x what the USCG charges, then that is your prerogative. However, the USCG NVDC charges $26/year, sends a USPS mail reminder, and allows you to renew through their website. The renewal process has become much easier since I started this thread. If you can't follow the very simple registration renewal instructions that the NVDC sends you (in essence; enter your DOC number, confirm that the info in the database is current and correct, and then submit payment) then you should have trouble with the $75 Maritime Documentation Scam too.

Some people have trouble transferring or initiating their documentation. There are documentation agents that offer their services for a $200-500 fee to help these people through the process. I transferred the documentation for my vessel myself and saved the fee. I can read and write in English, however. "

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
I understand that people have different experiences with this National Vessel Documentation Center but I actually enjoyed their service last year for my boat registration.
The National Vessel Documentation Center IS the USCG. Is that what you used? It has an online renewal service for $26. The intention of this entire thread is to be sure the deceptive mailings that ask for more money, with deceptively similar sounding names, to take care of something that requires the boat owner to provide EXACTLY the same information to them as they would otherwise provide to the USCG is a scam. It’s like being charged to valet your car, but you still need to park your own car and then they’ll valet it elsewhere.

These scam services will sell the idea that they provide an annual renewal service. If that’s of value to you, so bet it. Reportedly, the official online site will soon have multi-year renewal options too.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
They go by more the one name and keep changing them. nothing really illegal and they do provide a service at a very high price but it is still wrong.
I believe that there is more than one outfit conducting the same scam er, "business practice." At a minimum of $53 per year per sucker client for creating a form letter, and mass mailing it to every owner of record in the USCG Documentation Database (how did they get a copy of this?) it is likely fairly profitable. It has been posted by others elsewhere in this thread that once they get your money, they will not return it.

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
And they don't do anything for the money, they make you give them all the info and then their computer does all the work. very misleading site made to look all official

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
they're a 3rd party that does all the work for you
I call BS.

There is no work to do. Anyone who has renewed on the federal website knows this.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Guys, there are instances when it is a good idea to enlist the help of a documentation company for the initial documentation. But for simple renewal, there is never a reason to use one. Go to the real CG Doc center website, take 2-3 minutes and pay $26 or you can go to one of these scammer sites, take 2-3 minutes and pay $75.

·
bell ringer
4,868 Posts
I call BS.

There is no work to do. Anyone who has renewed on the federal website knows this.
That's the truth. For yearly renewal it is all right on the website and I don't how it could be any easier. I did mail mine the past year as I wanted the multiyear renewal and couldn't figure how to do on-line, but I did it well before I needed to and got it back in less than a month.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
I call BS.

Even worse, you have to do exactly the same work for this scam documenting company, as you’d have to do for the USCG directly.

They rely exclusively on suckers not realizing they aren’t dealing with the USCG, ie the deceptive company name.

Reactions: chuck53
61 - 76 of 76 Posts