SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any information about the Mark 19. It was built by Ontario Yachts in limited numbers in the early 1980's. Ours is an 1983. A call to Ontario Yachts yielded little information as the gentleman I spoke to remembered little about the boat.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as we sort the boat out. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
19,488 Posts
Interesting.. Sailboatdata.com shows a Mark 25, but not the 19. The 25 is listed as a C&C design, like the Ontario-built Vikings (the V28 was one of our earlier boats) Your picture shows a pretty strong sheerline, a la C&C so that could be part of its pedigree.

There's another reference that said Ontario built them for 'Mark' yachts under contract.

Looks like a fun boat, have you had it long?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the boat for less than a week. The guy at Ontario Yachts said that the boat was designed by George Cuthbertson (1/2 of C&C). The production numbers were definitely less than 10. Poor promotion and high cost of production seemed to be its death knell.

My biggest question is about the rig. It appears to be a cat-rigged boat in this picture (the only one I can find on the internet). Also, this boat sailed main only and the previous owner bought a jib but never used it. The boat has a spot for a halyard but no blocks or cleats for the sheets.

Attachments

·
19,488 Posts
Well, I see a (very) fractional headstay.. so I suppose you could add a jib, or at least see if the one you've got fits... and then add the gear to cleat it. On a boat that size you won't need any winches, just a fairlead and a cleat ought to do it, if you put them on a track you'll have more versatility for variable conditions.

none of which should be too difficult to do on a simple, open boat like that. Enjoy!

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts

·
19,488 Posts

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Yep, my bad, Adriaanse was no longer with C&C when he did the 28.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts