SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a martec folder on my S2. Last year I replaced the pins - getting new monel pins from martec (at a cost of $10...).

Question, do these props really need monel pins v. stainless? Anyone out there using stainless cotter pins on their martec? Monel pins are impossible to find and i don't really want to spend yet another $10 on new pins.

I haul every year so would put in new stainless pins annually.

Thx.

· Registered
221 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah..so they did not advise me of that when I called them last year.

so help me understand if electrolysis is an issue - how come the stainless shaft does not appear to have any electrolysis issue?

Martec STRONGLY advises against using stainless cotter pins to avoid electrolysis with the bronze prop. Bite the bullet and get them.

· Registered
221 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
221 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gotcha...thanks.

Shaft is big, and it is also towards the boat from the prop. So the electricity flow is from shaft to prop to water. This prevents much corrosion occuring at shaft. Pins are small and they are between prop and water, so since stainless is less noble than bronze, pins will act as sacrificial anodes and may dissolve relatively quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.