SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 16' Balboa out to Agate Pass yesterday on Puget Sound. It was truly the first "real" sailing weather I've expereinced in my 1+ year of ownership. Predicted wind speeds were 10-15...I'm not sure what they actually were, but there were some white caps and decent gusts and swells in the late afternoon. I was admittedly a little nervous as I took a lot of spray and a bit water over the bow, but the little boat handled very well. Anyway, the point of my post....since it's such a small boat, I've never had the rigging tuned by anyone. I've just tightened them up evenly until I have very little play. The forestay and backstay I'm sure are GTG. My question is with the shrouds. When the wind fills the sails, there is obviously a large load placed on the mast and the leeward rigging slacks as the load is carried by the windward rigging. I should expect to see visible movement on the order of an inch or so, right? Seeing it is one thing, but listening to the vibration made me wonder if it is secure enough...or if I was possibly overloading it. There should be zero movement on the windward shroud, correct? The small sails don't have any reefing points, so I just turned into the wind a bit when the heel and load felt a little too strong. Anyway, appreciate anyone's input into tuning and expected play in unloaded shrouds. Thank you.:confused:

·
Administrator
9,180 Posts
A little slack in the Leeward rigging is not at all unusual on a small boat. That said, typically you want to set up your rig a bit tighter in heavier air as compared to light air. This is especially true on a boat like the Balboa which does not have a backstay if I remember correctly.

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts