SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It looks like you will get to do some fiberglass repair. Cut away the broken area around the hole, cutting or grinding back to good material. You can make a form with a piece of plastic, like cut from a plastic bottle, or a plastic For Sale sign from the hardware store, and roll it into an oval to fill that hole where the mast goes, to keep it open. Then fill in the area with epoxy.

People on here say that WestMarine has info on their website, on how o use their various products to make various repairs.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/DIY-Using-Epoxy-Systems

Wow, I just looked at the site for the first time. It is a whole masters class on everything fiberglass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the reply! could I just lay some fiberglass cloth on top of the mold and put some resin on it and layer that? then do some finishing touches on top of that

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
thank you for the reply! could I just lay some fiberglass cloth on top of the mold and put some resin on it and layer that? then do some finishing touches on top of that
I assume that what you show in your photo is just a hole in the deck that the mast slips through on it's way to the mast step that is below on the hull floor?

It really doesn't offer a lot of support because the shrouds and the forestay are what actually hold the mast up. But it does offer some support in some situations. What you are talking about sounds like a cosmetic repair only. It isn't hard to cut away all of the broken and crumbling part and replace it.

It is hard to tell from your photo but it appears to be some kind of wood core that is covered by fiberglass and it has crumbled. You would have a lot more stability and longevity, if you cut out a horseshoe shaped area around the opening that is an inch and a half wide and put in a piece of wood cut to fit and glassed over it. It is not hard to do.

You could also cut away all of the broken material and tape around the edges to create a mold, and place an oval shaped tube in the mast hole to keep it open and to retain it's shape, and fill it all in with epoxy.

I had to do that with a decaying section of the sole in my sailing dinghy because there was not sufficient material to support the mast step. I dug out a pie plate size divot in the plywood to get down to solid wood. I drilled a few holes and filled the area flush with epoxy.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I just looked closer at the photo. It looks like particle board core. You could dig away all of the crumbling particle board, drill some holes in it to anchor the epoxy, tape off the edges to create a mold and fill in the area with epoxy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts