SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Hunter 336 that I purchased last season. The mast does not have an aft mast stay but has substantial bend to the stern above the top spreaders.

The individual I purchased the boat from took immaculate care of the boat and documented nearly everything but I cannot find anything to indicate if this is the proper "shape" for the mast.

Any guidance or documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Phone home?

Try calling Hunter and ask them. Their website may have pictures of a sisership. Compare that with what you have. Ask the previous owner. If there's no backstay, there's only a few ways the top of the mast could have gotten bent abnormally. One would involve not waiting for a drawbridge to open all the way. The other would be from getting run over by a forklift before getting stepped. You're going to have to do the legwork on this one, since you're the one who knows how much his mast is bent.

·
Catalina 38 Avantura
208 Posts
Hunters use a B&R backstayless rig

It uses the double backswept spreaders for support. As for the bend, I think that is standard, but I would check more into it to be sure. Subscribe to the Hunter e-mail list (under "Resources" above) to get more info from Hunter owners.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can’t believe the previous owner took the backstay from your boat and left you with a bent mast, I’d suggest you take legal action. There are a lot of nutballs out there!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I hope your not being serious..... Is that sarcasm I'm detecting.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Consult your owners manual. Hunter describes the process for commisioning the boat and will tell you how much pre-bend is recommended.
If the previous owner did not leave the owners manual for you, you can probably get another copy from Hunter or borrow one from another owner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts