SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchaser a Rieker dual gauge clinometer today. My intent is to mount it on the mast so the crew can see the angle of heel and make adjustments during the race to improve speed. I figure the less time I spend barking orders at them to shift weight around, the more time I can focus on steering.

Rieker 2056 Inclinometer - Dual Scale Binnacle.com

To my surprise, there do not appear to be any mast brackets for clinometers and the brackets that are available for other instruments seem ridiculously expensive. Plus, online shopping for these sort of things doesn't work well because one can't see dimensions,

I do know that the clinometer is 6 W x 3-3/4 H x 3/8 D

I could put something together with parts from Home Depot but has anyone had any luck with something a little nicer for the purpose?

Thanks.

·
Master Mariner
8,992 Posts
I have never seen one of these mounted on a mast. Most are mounted above or below the companionway door or hatch, on a flat vertical surface on the centerline.

Reactions: jackdale

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never seen one of these mounted on a mast. Most are mounted above or below the companionway door or hatch, on a flat vertical surface on the centerline.
I've never seen one mounted on a mast either, but when you think about it for racing it makes perfect sense. I have a speed display on my mast that all crew can see. This is huge because as crew make weight and sail adjustments, they can immediately see the difference for themselves. Placing the clinometer on the mast would also empower them to see the results of their weight distribution efforts.

I suppose I could place it on the mast with a temporary mount until we get a sense of what angles of heel the boat is fastest at, then eventually permanently mount it below the companionway hatch as per typical.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
What matters is boat speed which is why you will see knotmeters mounted on the mast.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
I purchaser a Rieker dual gauge clinometer today. My intent is to mount it on the mast so the crew can see the angle of heel and make adjustments during the race to improve speed. I figure the less time I spend barking orders at them to shift weight around, the more time I can focus on steering.
I think that is a good idea. Now you can bark "you guys are killing me!" and leave it to the crew to figure out why. *grin*

To my surprise, there do not appear to be any mast brackets for clinometers and the brackets that are available for other instruments seem ridiculously expensive. Plus, online shopping for these sort of things doesn't work well because one can't see dimensions,
The bracket linked by SVHyLyte should work nicely but it does seem pricy for what it is.

If there isn't a conflict with a sail grove in the mast extrusion below the gooseneck you can do something nice yourself.

Get a piece of Starboard and cut it to match the size of your clinometer. In the best of worlds you'll run it through a table saw or power mitre, use a sander to round the corners, and round over the mast side with a router. Do the best you can.

Drill two holes (13/64" if I remember right) on the vertical centerline about 3/4" from the top and bottom. Countersink for flat-head 10-24 machine screws. Drill one hole 5/32" (check tap and clearance numbers here, I may not remember correctly) in the mast and tap 10-24. Mount the Starboard with a screw and use the Starboard as a template for the second hole in the mast. Take the Starboard down and tap the hole. Mount the Starboard to the mast and the clinometer to the Starboard.

Done.

If you haven't tapped holes before there are some tricks. I'm sure there are a bunch of YouTube videos ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts