SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
I use a variation of the top climber. Rather than pay the $300 I purchased a pair of climber''s ascenders from EMS at $49 ea and used my own bosun''s chair. You''ll also need to create webbing straps for your feet and a caribiner clip. Works great-cost little. Be sure to use a safety line too!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree with anon. No need to overpay for something that climbers have been using for years. This goes for bosun''s chairs as well; a climbing harness is a far safer and cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I purchased the Top Climer from ATN. I''ve used it once and find it fairly easy to use. I purchased it from the "Factory" in Florida and watched the video and talked to the owner firs. You need a 7/16 halyard to climb or you have to hoist a 7/16 line. The key is to have tension in the line. The system is very comfortable.
Jim

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ahoy climber, Iffin ye knew that in the beginning wat were the point of ye asking ye dim bulb? Was ye having second thoughts cause you developed a festering chafe on your arse? If you had a sound rig and the brains to keep it from fouling you wouldn''t need the silly thing. Does ye need a diving suit to to check yer props? Are ye sure you ain''t climbing the tree you been smoking? Avast there ye lubberly cur and climb up out of yer stupidity . Consider youself flogged. Big Red the pirate of Pine Island.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi, I bought one 2 years ago at the Miami Boat Show. One of the best things I''ve ever gotten for use on the boat.You never have to find someone to hoist you,and you can go up as many times as you have to. You made a good buy,regardless of what the Big Red Idiot has to say.He has never contributed anything useful,least of all,humor.
Marc

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ahoy , gershel, first ye ought to no better than to fire a broadside at me rigging without fair warning . Not that I mind yer inpertinance cause the likes of your kind always gets wots comming to him. da fact that ye have chosen the Pirate of Pine Island to pick a fight wit is proof of yer poor judgement. Why me point is I''d free climb any mast made and and if that make me a better man than most so what? As far as the original posters and your self appreciating comments about the product Are ye just plain nuts or what? How much money did you spend to make up for the obvious lack of strength and skill? As far as humor ye got the brains of an imbecile to think that I ain''t the funniest most entertaning sailor what ever lived. Rum or not. As far a contributing anything usefull ye wouldn''t know the difference it it hit you in yer addled head. I sir am real, I share who I am as a sailor and a person with the world and I am not afraid of critism because I know and am proud of who and what I am. Sailing is not a sport of the gentry and you sir are beneath my contempt for the fool that you are. All that said I am a Pirate and flogging the handicapped may be unpopular in polite company but I rather don''t care one wit. I enjoy it. But you know where I am and what I am. Avast ther ye be given no quarter and I be asking for none. Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ahoy gershel , I see me return fire took the wind from yer sails and swept the decks of yer argument in fine order. But I ain''t ready to let ye go and me hooks have already bit into yer hull holding yer wrecked hulk for me boarding party. I''d be the first to admit me course ways be not fit for gentler society but me humor hits the mark no matter who ye are. Me point may be lost in the smoke of battle and ignorance but me contribution tis as clear as the day for those thats smart enough to see it. Sure, we all have to climb the rigging in an emergency but unless the sitituation is dire we wait until were at the wharf. I would not reccommend anyone climb without deck support unless absolutley necessary!! Period. Todays rigs mine included tend to foul more often because of the complex and all to often unecessay bells and whistles that the industry foists on us to make a buck. 90 % of the developments used in racing aren''t practical or even desirable for more gentler folk on production boats. Of course some people because of limited physical abilities need more mechanical advantage or desire more "ease" in sailing. These same people wouldn''t necessarly climb anyway. As far as your rig I''m sure you made a fine investment in safety gear and I hope you get to use it often. Me point with the original poster was simple really, why ask a question about his decision after it had been made? The fool probably hasn''t the guts to use it in a blow and he''ll be abandoning ship after calling for help with his Sat/Nav "ON STAR" electronics. Money does not breed intelligence. Pirates do. Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ahoy BigRed56,

I''m working a new product, the "Mast Diver". If she''s tied up on her port side, just pump 8,000 gallons of water into her starboard ballast tank, and break out the snorkel. Just be sure to check the depth first with yer fish finder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back to the subject, I am NOT a fan of the Mast Mate. This system came with my boat and it uses the sail''s track on the mast. Unfortunately, you have to remove the sail from its track to put it on. The climbing gear sounds a lot quicker.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went to one of the outdoor provisioning companys( here in Raleigh) and the kid showed me a device that works the same way as an ascender. So I got 2 of them. they are TIBLOC ascenders by petzl. For $20 each i use my own chair and can shimmy up in no time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts