SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1978 C22 to restore and sell. I am almost done with re-furbishing her.

It came with a mast crutch I thought at first was home-made...but another C22 for sale on Craigslist has just part of a photo of what looks like the same crutch.

I emailed him asking for a photo, but no answer.

Wondered if anyone has a photo of the mast crutch to post? I am now wondering if it is factory, and am unsure how it mounts or if I am missing any hardware..

Thanks

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
Nobody has chimed in here, so I'll step up.

I don't have a factory mast crutch, but I've seen one and I made my own out of steel using the same basic design. That is, two telescoping tubes with a yoke and roller on the top and pintle pins on the bottom. You replace your rudder with the crutch before you unstep your mast, telescope the crutch to its fully extended position, then lower your mast into the yoke. You can then lower the crutch to its collapsed position for trailering. To step the mast, just reverse.

Besides the crutch itself, I also use two motorcycle tie down straps tightened between the crutch and the aft cleats to stabilize the crutch. That's about all there is to it. If you need more detail, holler and I'll snap some pics of mine.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go to You Tube and search for "Taking the Mast Down C22" and you will see a video of a C22 with a mast crutch. Can't post the link 'cause I only have 6 posts. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.