SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wires in the mast

Can anyone tell me how the wires run through the inside of the mast on a PSC 34 ? Is there a channel or do the wires just dangle on the interior?

Thanks
Keith
PSC 34'
S/V Charity Rose

·
Registered
54 Posts
Keith
I assume you are adding a radar to the mast? If so, I did this years back on my '83 Orion 27. I removed the mast and fed the radar cable through it but I just let it dangle inside- big mistake. The first time we anchored overnight the noise of the cable bumping inside the mast with every roll of the boat drove us crazy. I ended up removing the mast again to push open-cell foam blocks into the mast to restrain the radar cable. Others have accomplished the same using groups of cable ties pointing outward like a bottle brush along the cable. As I remember, the LeFiell spars have a 3/4" PVC pipe installed inside for normal in mast wiring for lights, but I don't think a radar cable would fit into it.

Dave Dias
Crealock 37
"Eowyn"

·
Registered
52 Posts
The LeFiell mast on my PSC44 has two conduits. I have no idea what your '34 has, but you definitely need to secure the cables one way or another. Don't let them hang loose inside the mast.

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul, Dave,
Thanks for the input. I can see that running the cable down the inside of the mast is defiently going to be the most daunting of the installation tasks.

Keith

·
Coastal Carolinas
105 Posts
Keith,
After choosing your mast mount location, drill your entry hole for the radar cable and using some light bead chain (you can pick up at hardware store) attached to some pull string and drop through entry hole and fish out at bottom of mast inspection plate. The weight of the chain sort of finds its way to the bottom of mast making it easier to retrieve. Use the pull string to then hoist the radar cable and slide sections of 1/2" pipe insulation over cable and secure with tie wraps as you raise it up the mast. The pipe insulation aids in dampening the cable movement inside the mast and prevents chafe. Remember to leave a (drip loop) in cable at radome entry and seal hole in mast with silicone. This will prevent rain from following the cable back down the mast.

Good luck with your installation.

John
PSC 34
"Norstar"

·
Not So Senior Member
2,506 Posts
Keith
I assume you are adding a radar to the mast? If so, I did this years back on my '83 Orion 27. I removed the mast and fed the radar cable through it but I just let it dangle inside- big mistake.

Dave Dias
Crealock 37
"Eowyn"
What was your Orion, I'm hull #73 built in the summer of 83. I love my Orion but dream of a 34' (unless i hit megamillions 44':D .... on your tail Valis :D)

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John,
Thanks for the input on the PVC.
So if I understand you correctly I would be securing the pvc to the existing PVC conduit in the mast with wire wraps. I don't recall seeing an inspection plate but it must be there. The chain sounds like an excellent and very easy idea.
Thanks much
Keith

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sapperwhite,
Our 1983 Orion was hull number 71 (if I remember correctly). We purchased her in '88 from her original owner who had sailed her to Hawaii and back and his cruise was later featured in a Pacific Seacraft magazine advertisement. We lived aboard our Orion for a year, then took off in 1989 to cruise the west coast of Mexico and Baja for 6 months. Our boat was a "C" plan interior, from what I understand a rare option. We have only happy memories of our Orion, and those memories played a big part in our purchase of the Crealock. Best of luck with your Orion,
Dave Dias
Crealock 37
"Eowyn"

·
Coastal Carolinas
105 Posts
Keith,
On our 34 with the LaFiell mast, the inspection plate is at the base of mast starboard side. The installation method I was referring to was done with the mast standing. The pvc insulation is available in sections 5' long and is made out of closed cell foam. The 1/2" size fits nicely over the radar cable. Use tie wraps to secure foam to cable and d'ont cut the tab off. This will keep the cable from moving around in mast and help prevent chafe.

John
PSC 34
"Norstar"

·
Coastal Carolinas
105 Posts
The method I described will only be practical for external halyard applications.For internal, I would think a secured conduit raceway is the only way to go and would probably require un-stepping the mast.

John
PSC 34
"Norstar"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts