SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Coastal Carolinas
105 Posts
Keith,
After choosing your mast mount location, drill your entry hole for the radar cable and using some light bead chain (you can pick up at hardware store) attached to some pull string and drop through entry hole and fish out at bottom of mast inspection plate. The weight of the chain sort of finds its way to the bottom of mast making it easier to retrieve. Use the pull string to then hoist the radar cable and slide sections of 1/2" pipe insulation over cable and secure with tie wraps as you raise it up the mast. The pipe insulation aids in dampening the cable movement inside the mast and prevents chafe. Remember to leave a (drip loop) in cable at radome entry and seal hole in mast with silicone. This will prevent rain from following the cable back down the mast.

Good luck with your installation.

John
PSC 34
"Norstar"

·
Coastal Carolinas
105 Posts
Keith,
On our 34 with the LaFiell mast, the inspection plate is at the base of mast starboard side. The installation method I was referring to was done with the mast standing. The pvc insulation is available in sections 5' long and is made out of closed cell foam. The 1/2" size fits nicely over the radar cable. Use tie wraps to secure foam to cable and d'ont cut the tab off. This will keep the cable from moving around in mast and help prevent chafe.

John
PSC 34
"Norstar"

·
Coastal Carolinas
105 Posts
The method I described will only be practical for external halyard applications.For internal, I would think a secured conduit raceway is the only way to go and would probably require un-stepping the mast.

John
PSC 34
"Norstar"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.