SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Seattle Sailor
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some corrosion on my mast base...

From my recent survey, "There is light corrosion built up at the mast wire pass-thru at the base clear, clean & re-inspect. Make repairs if found necessary."

The corrosion is limited to the bottom 3-6", so I plan to only remove the paint from the bottom 6 to 12" and then repaint.

My questions are:

1. How to remove the paint?
2. How to inspect? What do I need to look for?
3. How to repaint? What to use?

-Todd

·
Registered
196 Posts
tape off with aluminum tape how ever high you wanna go then use paint stripper that way the corrosion is left there to see what type it is after remove the aluminum tape. and sand the edge between the paint and the mast so its smooth and you cant feel a transition. then use a wire brush and grinder or sand paper to remove all the corrosion. if its aluminum i would recommend washing it in phosphoric acid and rinse till the water falls off like a sheet then use alodine. I recommend using Alodine 1132 its a pen that you just rub on the surface to coat the hole thing. but if it drips dont worry dont brush it or wipe it. after prime with a zinc cromate primer then top coat with a matching polyurethane based paint

·
Seattle Sailor
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great details! Here's a photo before photo, I'll post some more before and after shots soon. -T

·
Registered
360 Posts
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS ; Looks like you have a bit of electrolisis going on down there, is the mast sat on to metal shoe and is it wet bildge that would cause the dissimilar metal thing going on. Can you sit the mast on a hard gaskit rubber ect. Have you got any self ectching aluminium paint it would act as a barrier to the electrolisis Hope this helps AS ALWAYS GO SAFE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts