SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought what I thought was a Buccaneer 18, it turns out it is a boat built by Bayliner and a completely different boat. I have a question about raising the mast. It is set up to raise the mast from the bow. Every other boat I've sailed with mast stays has always been raised from the stern, that way the side stays will provide support and once up, you attach the forestay and you are good to go. if you raise it from the front, there is nothing to keep it stable. The mast is not that heavy, but I don't see how you could single hand it raising it from the front. seems like the easiest solution is to turn the mast step around so the pivot pin faces aft.Am I missing the obvious here? I have not tried to raise it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,473 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I would replace that mast step with something easier to raise. Or at least rig up some support for the mast so you are not raising it from a fully prone position.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
That mast is just like my Victoria 18

You start With the pin in the base and the TOP of the mast towards the stern

The TWO shrouds (wires on the side) must be connected :)

Then you just walk it right up as it is very light and depending on your skill you Or a helper just puts the pin in the third wire on the bow

After that you can play with how tight everything is

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That mast is just like my Victoria 18

You start With the pin in the base and the TOP of the mast towards the stern

The TWO shrouds (wires on the side) must be connected :)

Then you just walk it right up as it is very light and depending on your skill you Or a helper just puts the pin in the third wire on the bow

After that you can play with how tight everything is
that's how I have always done it too, but the pin in the base is at the front of the mast so the pivot is forwards, towards the bow.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I lowered and raised the mast on my Catalina 25 forward.

We fixed the boom into place and sticking straight back using the boom as a gin pole. The main sheet ran from the end of the boom back to the traveler.

Then we'd let the main sheet out slowly to lower the mast forward. Side to side sway was controlled with a couple of temporary lines run from the aft ends of the mast to the chainplates (which are inline with the mast on that boat, on your boat they are behind the mast).

How heavy is the mast on your boat? On my 505 (roughly 25' lightweight mast) we just stand it vertically and then pop it up into the boat. It looks like your boat has a shorter mast than the 505.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
The mast raises from the front because the cuddy won't allow it to go flat if laid aft. You are correct that it will be easier to raise with the shrouds in place, from the cockpit. So your easy solution is a crutch that fits into the rudder pintles. This approach has the dual benefits of permitting you to raise the mast forward and of starting the mast above horizontal. It's how our SJ21 works, a much heavier spar but I can easily stand it up myself. (In fact, that mast plate is identical to the one on the SJ21.;)) The only caveat will be shroud length; will they bind before the mast is stood up? Worth trying out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts