SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a new potential Boat to buy, this one with the added challenge of transporting it.

Does anyone know anyone in Vancouver Island South that can help taking down a mast for transport and rigging it back at the marina?

The cost of this can determine if its worth pursuing the sale.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
most of the boat yards can do that. Cost should be about $1500 for a 30ish footer to derig and set the boat and rig on a truck for transport. same at the other end of the trip.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
most of the boat yards can do that. Cost should be about $1500 for a 30ish footer to derig and set the boat and rig on a truck for transport. same at the other end of the trip.
Thanks Overbored, that sounds very overpriced. I need to find two guys with a crane truck or an A frame. The transport quote from water to water is a very small portion of that cost.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
what size boat? I am sure there is a cheaper way but if you damage the mast that came with the boat the new mast will cost more then the boat to replace. not sure what you are trying to do but two guys with a crane truck sounds like an accident waiting to happen. most yards are not going to let two guys with a crane truck lift your mast in their yard

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what size boat? I am sure there is a cheaper way but if you damage the mast that came with the boat the new mast will cost more then the boat to replace. not sure what you are trying to do but two guys with a crane truck sounds like an accident waiting to happen. most yards are not going to let two guys with a crane truck lift your mast in their yard
Is a 27' the mast weights about 80 pounds tops. Basically taking down a long pole. How hard could that be? I have moved whole cargos across continents for a portion of that. It doesn't make sense ))

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
that's a different story. so it is a trailer sailor. there are many on the forum that have lots of experience taking down a small mast. is it keel or deck stepped?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
thats a great boat Robert Perry design you should be able rig a Gin pole to raise and lower that mast but getting close to the limit of using a gin pole that mast is about 35'

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Is a 27' the mast weights about 80 pounds tops. Basically taking down a long pole. How hard could that be? I have moved whole cargos across continents for a portion of that. It doesn't make sense ))
I would be very surprised if a mast for a 27 foot boat only weighs 80lbs. I am sure my old Hotfoot 20 mast weighed more than that and it was a skinny little racing mast...just saying!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,464 Posts
Dropping a mast on a boat that size is not that easy, especially a well built one with heavier rigging. That does not mean it's impossible. If the boat is landlocked there must be some sort of marina and possibly a boat yard on the lake. Contact them to see what it would cost to drop the mast. Since you are going to need it trailered you might start calling boat transport companies to get quotes. I am going to guess it will cost at least $2,000 to get the boat to the ocean maybe twice that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Dropping a mast on a boat that size is not that easy, especially a well built one with heavier rigging. That does not mean it's impossible. If the boat is landlocked there must be some sort of marina and possibly a boat yard on the lake. Contact them to see what it would cost to drop the mast. Since you are going to need it trailered you might start calling boat transport companies to get quotes. I am going to guess it will cost at least $2,000 to get the boat to the ocean maybe twice that.
I have the transport sorted at a very reasonable price, water to water. Taking the mast down seems to be the new hurdle. I am contacting the marinas around but I've got no quotes so far. As a newbie, I am baffled about the costs for the kind of work involved.

Even if it weighted 200 pounds, three strong guys should be able to hold it steady while it slowly comes down over the shoulder in about ten minutes. I compare that to movers carrying an oversize sofa into a 15th floor through a back staircase for 50 bucks (facepalm)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be very surprised if a mast for a 27 foot boat only weighs 80lbs. I am sure my old Hotfoot 20 mast weighed more than that and it was a skinny little racing mast...just saying!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
You are right, is 32 feet, and a bit less than 200 pounds. I was looking at a Catalina mast.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,464 Posts
Even if it weighted 200 pounds, three strong guys should be able to hold it steady while it slowly comes down over the shoulder in about ten minutes. I compare that to movers carrying an oversize sofa into a 15th floor through a back staircase for 50 bucks (facepalm)
Now imagine that couch was 40 feet long and vertical. As has been said if your 3 strong guys make one small mistake your cost of owning this boat will double.

Ask whoever is going to move the boat how they plan on getting the boat onto and off the trailer? Maybe you can bring 30 strong backs and have them lift the boat onto the trailer for you?:grin

Chances are there is a crane or boat lift involved you have not factored into the cost of buying and transporting this boat. If so they can easily coordinate taking down the mast with this machinery. Talk to the delivery guys, boat yards and previous owner to find out what your resources are. You are quickly finding boat ownership can add up. You might be able save money by doing with a few friends. However if you and a bunch of buddies are trying to figure out how to de-rig and rig the mast while the meter is running on a very expensive peice of machinery like a crane, you might find it smarter to hire someone who knows what they are doing.

This is a nice boat, and if it is priced cheaply it is likely because of it's location.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now imagine that couch was 40 feet long and vertical. As has been said if your 3 strong guys make one small mistake your cost of owning this boat will double.

Ask whoever is going to move the boat how they plan on getting the boat onto and off the trailer? Maybe you can bring 30 strong backs and have them lift the boat onto the trailer for you?:grin

This is a nice boat, and if it is priced cheaply it is likely because of it's location.
I really like that idea, I always wanted to do that :grin:grin

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
A little more info would be helpful.
If the mast pivots on a bolt or pin then it should be pretty straight forward to lower it with 3 or 4 people.
If the boat is being lifted by a travel lift, the same lift can be used to remove the mast.
Re-rigging that mast is not rocket science, there is plenty of books and on line info...even some good advice on SN. If the rigging is good now, make some markers on the turnbuckles and wires so that you can start by putting the rigging back the way it was.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A little more info would be helpful.
If the mast pivots on a bolt or pin then it should be pretty straight forward to lower it with 3 or 4 people.
If the boat is being lifted by a travel lift, the same lift can be used to remove the mast.
Re-rigging that mast is not rocket science, there is plenty of books and on line info...even some good advice on SN. If the rigging is good now, make some markers on the turnbuckles and wires so that you can start by putting the rigging back the way it was.
They are using the marina launch, the transport said they don't do the mast. The crane operators do it all the time, apparently. The mast attaches by the base fitting over a male plug that is 2 or 3 inches high, mounted on the cabin roof. Then a bolt goes through the base of the mast and the plug. So far this is all I know, thank you Paulnanaimo

1 - 20 of 43 Posts