SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rick S/V Brrr Wind II
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a accident last Sunday on my way back from Santa Cruz Isle to Ventura the tiller got knocked off the auto pilot and before I noticed the boat turned and the boom went swinging to the other side! Ouch the Port spreader broke off and that was that for sailing on the wind that day I had to reef in the sails and start the motor to get home.
So now I have been up there and retrieved the broken part so now how do I replace it? I ask that since I have a Morgan 27' sailboat and they are no longer in business as far as I can tell I can get a new spreader from Rig-Rite, Inc.
for about $60 dollars but all that is broken is the tube and it looks like it has suffered from fatigue also after 35 years of service! The out board end is fine just the end that went against the mast broke and it appears to be made of aluminum. My question is would it be safe to just get a piece of stock aluminum or even I can get a piece of rigid conduit to replace the broken shaft about 31" then put the old out side end in the new tube? I could get it back in service tomorrow if I went this route otherwise I would have to wait for a shipment from Connecticut to get it fixed. I'm looking at replacing both spreaders since the one broke I figure I should replace them in pairs. Thanks for any sound advice. Rick in Ventura

·
19,489 Posts
Congratulations on getting home with the stick still standing!

I'd agree that now's the time to change both spreaders.. also check the integrity of the socket/cup that the spreaders fit into. But I don't see why you should have to go to a distant source... any local rigger should be able to fix you up with the proper material.

I'd suggest against using conduit tubing.. it'll be heavy and not anodized so will not be ideal.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Second what Faster said, and would point out that spreaders are under fairly high compression loads, and may need to be higher quality alloy than conduit tubing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts