SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fella,
During my stepping of the deck stepped mast on my Ontario 28, the boat shifted (was pushed by a friend...) and the aluminum receptical, which was by then bolted to the mast, came away from the raised deck on which it is screwed about 1/4 " . This year I think I will not insert the bolt while geting the rig settled in, at least until the gin pole lets go, so I will not suffer the same problem.

Right now, though, before I would like to remove this plate, and rebed the screw holes, what are your thoughts on this . I know 3m makes a good epoxy, caulking gun type, I was thinking about drilling out the holes a few sizes too big, and then filling them with this, re drill and screw in the screws... or should I redrill the plate and put the screws in a different position ? I would like to take a moisture reader and have a go at the wood benath, Assuming the raised bit is some 1" [ply....

ANy thoughts appreciated !:rolleyes:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would redrill them out, if it's cored material, open up a little bit more core back under the skin, and fill with a good epoxy, then redrill them all. I don't know what 3M you're talking about, but If it comes out of a caulk gun, it's likely not the right stuff for the job. You'll need some West System or equivalent to make sure you've got the holding power.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
So . . . the tabernacle is pulled up from the cabin? And it's attached by screws going into the fiberglass? I'd be surprised if it ins't thru-bolted into the plate atop the compression post inside the salon. Oh, just looked it up. Seems like there is no compression post. Still, it seems to me that the tabernacle should be more secure than you are describing. Could a PO have changed the screws to something he shouldn't have?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Don,
yes, I added a compression post to addd to the bulkhead that
was holding it up.... not what you'd expect from these guys, but that is the way it was. I do not think they are bolts, but I've only removed one.....
The mystery continues !

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Pull it off and clean out the holes and get some West System six10 thickened epoxy adhesive and fill the holes then redrill then bed it with 3m 5200 polyurethane ;)

Reactions: GaiaOrion
1 - 6 of 6 Posts