SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a few of you may have noticed i am brand new to sailign and have a "boat load" of questions lol. once is about my mast. A new friend of mine sent me a picture of his mast step on his FJ and min looks pretty different, almost scary. There is just a shallow channel, that the mast rests in, and a flat plate on the bottom of the mast. i dont see how it is supposed to stay put if there isnt anything to really stop it from sliding forward of aft other than the sidestays and forstay, is that enough? i expected some kind of a notch or a pin to locate it. but if you guys tell me its normal i will be good with it. here are the pictures of what i am talking about

·
Registered
583 Posts
Your mast should sit in that grove in the bottom of the hull.
You want to be able move the mast fore and aft so you can trim or balance the boat for sailing but you do not want any lateral movement.
You could simply attach a piece to the bottom of your mast that will fit in that grove to eliminate any sideways movement but will still allow for adjustment fore and aft.
The compression from the rig should be enough to hold it from moving for and aft but if not, once you have found the "sweet spot" cut some blocks that will fit in the grove to hold the mast from moving around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts