SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20ft daysailor. I am 5ft2 and even with help have a hard time stepping the mast. I was wondering if there is a product available that aids in stepping a mast?
thanks!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Unless you build a tabernacle to pivot the mast in, your best bet may be a sixpack (perhaps more)of good beer and something good(better than chips)to eat. Setting up a gin-pole (not alcohol-related) for a mast that small would add more complications than it was worth. If the tabernacle or brew routes don''t appeal, perhaps rigging a tackle with an attached cam cleat between a raised halyard and the bow would make swaying it up easier. You can hoist in small increments and it will be cleated after each pull. Sometimes installing only the windward shrouds before the mast is raised avoids compression problems with forward lowers, which can make mast raising tricky. You then need to maintain some side pressure to make sure the mast doesn''t lean to windward and keep going...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Picnic 17 with a 23'' mast that uses a tabernacle and even this arrangement is not a one-man operation. I''ve spent many hours trying to rig something I could use alone with no success so far. The main problem is keeping the mast from falling to either side while its being raised. I''d appreciate hearing from anyone who has successfully solved this problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts