SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The groove on my mast below the luff port are all but finished. It has passed several attempts through it's 32 years of the boat's life, of people trying to pound the grooves into shape. The groove now runs through different widths has it travels up the mast to the port. I suppose the boat has seen many bad gibes and uncontrolled boom swings. The end of the boom is in rough shape too but salvageable.

I'm now looking for a 14inch piece of T Track with a matching slider to attach below the port, and to the back inner wall of the mast. (pic). The slider must have a reef cringle pin attach point, a boom pivot, and lower downhaul loop.

I have found one Australian company, (who will remain nameless), which has what I want has a kit. It would seem no one recommends it because of bad customer relations and long shipping times, so I'm looking for a US or Canadian supplier. Another option is to have both pieces made with bronze.

I could use a jib rail system, jimmy up a unique slider for it and mount it vertical, but it wouldn't stand up to the stresses.

I can't believe I'm having so much trouble finding these pieces. There must be hundreds out there with the same problem.

If I can't find a kit, I'll need to machine one together.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Why wouldn't you just switch to a fixed gooseneck? Then the mast track below the sail gate doesn't matter at all?

A fixed gooseneck does require a main halyard winch (where on a sliding gooseneck you can get halyard tension using a multipart downhaul or weight on the boom), but otherwise doesn't really have any major downsides. Almost all boats made in the last 30 years have used fixed goosenecks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The original gooseneck, which is still on the boom, moved up and down in the groove. It has the three attachments still on it. A floating system would be more forgiving and make up for the errors if I get the track vertical placement wrong.

Thanks for the response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts