SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonder the proper way to connect the swaged eye fitting on the end of the wire to a tang fastened to the mast.

Here is what I have. I plan to cut off the wire and replace with new wire with a swaged eye. Just wondering what I need in between.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
There are at least three options.
A swaged eye toggle, a marine eye in conjunction with a double jaw toggle or a fork.

Aircraft Fork
ALE-AF 10
5/16" Alexander Roberts$55.78 EA

Marine Eye
ALE-ME 10
5/16 x 1/2" pin, Alexander Roberts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
You really want to use a toggle, as it will help prevent the stainless steel wire from working and fatiguing in that location. The mechanical fittings, like the one in your post (Norseman, StaLock, Hayn HiMod) are a great idea, but fairly expensive. A good compromise is to go with swaged fittings at the top and mechanical fittings down at deck level, where corrosion is more of a problem with swaged fittings.

Swaging the wire directly to the tang is a really bad idea, since you won't have a clevis pin and cotter to remove if you need to disconnect the rigging.

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SD,

The fitting above is a toggle. Made by Suncor. If you click the link, they are $26.00 each. I can live with that. I need 6 fittings. 4 shrouds, forstay, backstay. The above fitting is the least expensive I have found, including swage fittings.

Look at this fitting by Hi-mod: Hi-Mod Compression Toggle $53.00 each.

Swage fitting: Marine Eye Toggles $18.00 each but to get it swaged locally is $10.00 each.

So it's the "Suncor" swageless or the swaged toggle above. Roughly the same price by the time I am done. What say you?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
:) Good enough. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
AllThumbs,
I think you linked to a lifeline terminal. I don't know if it makes a difference but you might want to confirm what you are looking at is suitable for your application.

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see that. As far as I can tell the same fitting can be used for lifelines and rigging.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
The Suncor fittings are made for rigging. The ones in their lifeline kits are their regular fittings.
There are some swage fittings that are only meant to be use for lifeline applications and aren't rated for rigging.:)

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Knothead. That seems to agree with what I have been able to find out on the web so far too. I just ordered 6 from defender.

Eric

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ones I ordered are 5/16". I will need to redrill the tangs. I think they are 1/4" holes right now.

Eric

·
Registered
48 Posts
rigging

check out Rigging Only. They were recommended by another fellow in my marina last year. I'm replacing all of the standing rigging on my 1970 CAL 25 this year and these folks know how to do it right.

HOME

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts