SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, my masthead has a rather small padeye mounted at the front that was used as the spinnaker bail for the spin halyard and block to attach to.

See below pics:

The problem is that it points downward and is so short that by the time a block is added my asymmetric sock fouls on my furled headsail. I want to get a little more extension and separation between the forestay and spin halyard. So, I came up with this, a 5/16" u bolt that I installed and then bent upward in a vice. See below:

Could this work? My boat is SanJuan-28 and I only use the asym for light air work. However it didn't seem too hard to bent the u-bolt, so I'm worried it will either bend right back (downward) or will simply fail? What do you all think?

If this won't likely work, what recommendations might you have?

Thanks as always!

·
19,485 Posts
Agree that's gonna bend in the first big puff...

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I agree with the others. It will fail fairly quickly. Hook a line on it with a loop and stand on it bounce a couple times it will start bending back or break. Get a proper spinnaker crane and do it the correct safe way. While on the bench not after it fails while underway

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the u-bolt made out of? What type of stainless?
It's 316, made by fastenal.

Before the overwhelming consensus to ditch this approach, I was thinking that I may have work-hardened it by bending it or perhaps I should just go 1 size thicker, 3/8" instead of 5/16". It seems that since the masthead has the convenient little "ears" to bolt into, why not use them.

Now, I think I may grind those ears off. That way I could easily fit an upside-down U-channel made of stainless to get a solid 2" or 2.5" of extension.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would not cut/grind the ears off. You may need them later! Just add a top strap to the crane of sufficient size. to take the Spinnaker halyard block!
I don't understand, What do you mean by "add a strap"?

Do you mean I go ahead with a (larger 3/8") u-bolt and weld a length of steel to the round end of the u-bolt and screw the other end into the top of the masthead?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It's 316, made by fastenal.

Before the overwhelming consensus to ditch this approach, I was thinking that I may have work-hardened it by bending it or perhaps I should just go 1 size thicker, 3/8" instead of 5/16". It seems that since the masthead has the convenient little "ears" to bolt into, why not use them.

Now, I think I may grind those ears off. That way I could easily fit an upside-down U-channel made of stainless to get a solid 2" or 2.5" of extension.
I you want to increase the distance between the stay and the spinnaker block I would suggest a upside down T or a right side U.
You need to have an attachment point well aft on the masthead if you are going to extend it forward. The ribs on the side of the masthead fitting would interfere with a upside down U.

Here is a picture of my spinnaker crane

Top view

The old spinnaker crane, I don't think it was bent like this when new..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts