SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding our dodger. The material currently is acrylic (Sunbrella), but I would consider making a change when I order the new one. What other types of material have you had good results with? Thanks
DD

·
Super Moderator
6,773 Posts
Stamoid!

Stamoid is an amazing product. It is basically the same fabric they use at the Denver Airport and most every football stadium with a soft top dome only in a lighter weight material.

The big problem is that there is no bias stretch so you NEED a very, very good canvas guy who knows how to work with Stamoid. Many guys won't even touch a Stamoid dodger because they know they don't have the skills to make it fit right.

The tolerances for a proper fit from the pattern to the finished product with a proper fit is 1/16" and most guys are just not that patient. Sunbrella hides a lot of errors because it can be stretched and made to look good even with sloppy stitching.

The only down side to Stamoid is that it does not breathe so it can't be used for sail covers or pedestal covers..

This is how a Stamoid dodger should fit.

Photo courtesy Mobile Marine Canvas So. Harpswell, ME

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found Stamoid at Sailrite and am ordering some sample swatches of different weights. My next issue will be to find a canvas guy that knows how to work this stuff. I have seen a couple of tops on power boats made of a material that is either this or something similar and it does look pretty good. You gave me good advice on the sailmaker (National) so I am sure you would not steer me wrong now!! thanks.
DD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts