SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of winter projects for the boat this winter and I am in need of some materials.

Project #1: New cushions for the cockpit. How do people feel about using Phifertex mesh with closed cell foam? I hate the feel of wet, hot, sticky vinyl against my legs. The mesh with foam should just allow the water to flow right though.

Project #2: New dropboards. Any decent suppliers for Lexan in the Toronto area?

Project #3: Galley counter top. The old laminate is shot (30 years old) but is securely glued to the underlying wood and I'll have to really rip it out. The old wood is actually a tongue and groove construction. I will put 5/8" ply down. Should I use a marine grade or just the stuff I use under the laminate topped tables at my restaurant? ( I don't use particle board - ply has the same weight better durability).

Project #4: Engine cover under the companionway stairs. This will be 1/2" ply. Should I bother to glass it? I was thinking just a high gloss finish to make it easy to wipe down.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Patrick-

For the cushions, I'd do the tops in sunbrella or something similar and the bottoms in phifertex mesh, to let any water drain out quickly... use closed cell foam, with a slightly softer lower density foam as the top inch and a higher density foam for the rest to give it more support. :)

FOr Lexan, look for an industrial sign supply company. There's got to be a few around Toronto.

For the Galley countertop, you shouldn't need the extra durabilty and such of marine plywood—regular plywood should be just fine there. :)

Engine cover should be glassed over—it'll be a lot more durable, stronger and more resistant to water penetration, rot, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Foam Choice?

I'm in the process of replacing my cabin cushions. From the research that I have done, open cell foam is better in a wet environment. Is this incorrect?

The foam suppliers in my area all mention open cell for marine applications. My existing cushions appear to be an open cell.

Which is correct???

Paul

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SD.

I like the idea of the cushion tops in Sunbrella, a lot less abrasive on the legs. Realistically speaking the cushions are for those times when the little lady aka The Admiral is on board. I usually solo and can't be bothered to haul the cushions out.

As regards the Lexan, I was hoping to find a sailor freindly supplier that someone else as dealt with. I hate havin to break in a new supplier. Did that years ago when I played paintball and used compressed air instead of Co2. Trying to convince a dive shop (needed 3000psi) that I wasn't an unlicensed diver was misery. All the other players used them AFTER we broke them in.

Could I get away with just a single layer of mat on the inside of the engine cover? I really don't have a way to glass in the winter. -6c is not good for epoxy setup.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Most sign supply companies are pretty easy to deal with and often sell the materials at a far lower price than you'd get from most retailers. Most will deal with the public directly, and you can often buy partial sheets of Lexan/Makrolon at a good price. I bought a 4' x 2' piece to make the new drop boards on my boat, and it was tinted, scratch/UV coated and about 60% of the price of anyone else I could get it from.

As for the engine cover. The piece should be small enough to take off the boat and indoors, and if you can paint it, you should be able to glass it... :) There is an epoxy that will work in fairly cold temperatures called Cold Cure epoxy, but I haven't used it. :) Worth investigating, especially if the admiral says no glass work indoors. :)

Thanks SD.

I like the idea of the cushion tops in Sunbrella, a lot less abrasive on the legs. Realistically speaking the cushions are for those times when the little lady aka The Admiral is on board. I usually solo and can't be bothered to haul the cushions out.

As regards the Lexan, I was hoping to find a sailor freindly supplier that someone else as dealt with. I hate havin to break in a new supplier. Did that years ago when I played paintball and used compressed air instead of Co2. Trying to convince a dive shop (needed 3000psi) that I wasn't an unlicensed diver was misery. All the other players used them AFTER we broke them in.

Could I get away with just a single layer of mat on the inside of the engine cover? I really don't have a way to glass in the winter. -6c is not good for epoxy setup.
You can use either, but open cell foam tends to absorb a lot more water than closed cell does, and it isn't as firm as closed cell foam in general. :)

I'm in the process of replacing my cabin cushions. From the research that I have done, open cell foam is better in a wet environment. Is this incorrect?

The foam suppliers in my area all mention open cell for marine applications. My existing cushions appear to be an open cell.

Which is correct???

Paul

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most sign supply companies are pretty easy to deal with and often sell the materials at a far lower price than you'd get from most retailers. Most will deal with the public directly, and you can often buy partial sheets of Lexan/Makrolon at a good price. I bought a 4' x 2' piece to make the new drop boards on my boat, and it was tinted, scratch/UV coated and about 60% of the price of anyone else I could get it from.
What the hell was I thinking. I just read the "supplier" part. Not the "sign" part. I feed a bunch of sign makers!! They do all the signs for the restaurant!! I'll drop in and see them with my templates.

As for the engine cover. The piece should be small enough to take off the boat and indoors, and if you can paint it, you should be able to glass it... :) There is an epoxy that will work in fairly cold temperatures called Cold Cure epoxy, but I haven't used it. :) Worth investigating, especially if the admiral says no glass work indoors. :)
The cover will be pretty small. 18" height x 24" height x 12" depth. My Atomic IV is tucked well back of the companionway stairs.
As regards the odours from epoxy, it isn`t just the admiral. I spent too many years doing theatre work with glass and epoxy for custom speaker cabinets and mounts built into set pieces. I persoanlly can`t stand the fumes for very long. And the cat woyuld have a conniption!:)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
What the hell was I thinking. I just read the "supplier" part. Not the "sign" part. I feed a bunch of sign makers!! They do all the signs for the restaurant!! I'll drop in and see them with my templates.
DOH!!! LOL...would be good to read every word... :) :laugher :D

The cover will be pretty small. 18" height x 24" height x 12" depth. My Atomic IV is tucked well back of the companionway stairs.
As regards the odours from epoxy, it isn`t just the admiral. I spent too many years doing theatre work with glass and epoxy for custom speaker cabinets and mounts built into set pieces. I persoanlly can`t stand the fumes for very long. And the cat woyuld have a conniption!:)
Hear ya....can't fix it though... :) Still think glassing the engine cover would be a good idea. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DOH!!! LOL...would be good to read every word... :) :laugher :D

Hear ya....can't fix it though... :) Still think glassing the engine cover would be a good idea. :)
I can't listen or read every word... then the admiral would wonder who I am and where was her husband!!!

Actually going back to the smell of epoxy, that was how Jim Henson (of Muppets fame) died. Chemical absorption through the skin. I had a fibreglass guy that made (and probably still does make ) most of the panels for road cases here in Toronto. His nickname is Crazy Larry due to all of the fumes. Just goes to show you, wear your respirator with an organic vapour cartridge and wear your gloves. Those solvents are nasty.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In Ontario, check out Plastic World. I was directed there by boaters and was very pleased with their long distance service and price by email and phone from another province.

·
99% landlubber, 1% sailor
140 Posts
Brydon Marine in Barrie is having a going out of business sale. go check it out.. too far for me...:(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brydon Marine in Barrie is having a going out of business sale. go check it out.. too far for me...:(
Too Far for me too based on the current weather in Toronto. I have 2 sister-in-laws up that way and the driving is a little rough for my little Accent.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts