SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Matilda 23 and trying to find technical information about these sailboats, namely, stays and shrouds size and lenght, mainsheet and jib sheets size and lenght, construction, etc. Any and all information is welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
First off, cool little boat, looks solid at 4600lb displacement. You won't generally find that information really unless another owner can measure it for you. The stays and shrouds will be sized for the loads and length of mast. If you are getting them redone your rigger will have recommendations.

For the sheets, it's a case of how long do they need to be and sizing will generally be whatever feels comfortable in your hands, 3/8 is usually a good compromise between weight and comfort. Even 1/4 double braid is plenty strong enough for the load but won't feel good in your hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks tschmithy. The lower shrouds are a smaller size than the upper which seems unusual to me. Most boats I have seen to date have the same size for both. I'm sure a rigger will be able to help me.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That is unusual, and sounds like one or the other was replaced. Generally they should be equal since the loads are usually roughly the same on a mast with spreaders. FWIW, 3/16 1x19 would be a good choice for the shrouds and 7/32 for the stays if you were going to spec them yourself, as in, send them off to a rigger to replace. Generally a 23 footer would be lighter, but your boat has some heft so bigger is better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.