SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
A perfect day!
116 Posts
Check the thread, Headed for LI Sound and Beyond, posted by Chef 2 Sail. It's on today's posts about 3 pages in. There is a detailed report from a local sailor concerning Mattituck inlet.
Chris Greco

·
A perfect day!
116 Posts
It's actually post #24 but here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL
Hey,

Just a little note that mattituck was dredged this year to 10' at MLW. So now almost anyone can get in or out at any time.

Barry
That's good info. I have always avoided Mattituck with the sailboat, remembering how shallow it used to be. It used to be iffy with a 3' draft. Mattituck is the only possible bail out point in long stretch to Orient so having it as an option is good news.

Hope this helps.
Chris

·
Registered
623 Posts
Been going into Mattituck Inlet/Creek almost every year for 25+ years as Mom/brother live less than 2 miles from creek. I draw 4.5" and have in years past touched soft bottom at dead low tide, mostly because not paying attention.
Basin at end of creek well worth while and very protected, one of few places I feel
very comfortable leaving boat at anchor unattended for extended time.
In basin good holding and depth. If want slip/fuel Matt-a-Mar marina is to east.
There is also the town dock with shower. Short walk to nice little town, restaurants, ice cream, even movie within short walk.
You will see good number of large motor, fishing, sailboats docked on west bank as you
go down creek.

·
Banned
12,357 Posts
Thanks for the info guys I found it very helpfull
Mattituck very doable. The federal anchorage at the end Hugo speaks of is very pretty and worth it.

Nice stop on the way out the LI Side of the Sound if you don't want to go the whole distance in one shot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.