SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am not new to sailing but new to Sailnet. I hope this question is not too far out, but I was planning on getting engaged in maui soon and I was wondering if anyone knew any good sailboat charters or individuals for the occasion. I would like to hoist a banner with my proposal in the main or unfurl in the Jib....Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
...I would like to hoist a banner with my proposal in the main or unfurl in the Jib....Thanks for your help!!
Can't help on charters in Maui, but just make sure you affix the banner to the starboard side of the jib and unfurl on starboard tack.;)

Best of luck!:)

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
I know Maui

I am getting married there in about 30 days. So I have been searching of all the fun things to do and obviously looked at sailing. I have not been able to find a small boat available. Only big impersonal dinner cruises or snorkeling adventures available. There is a lot of cool things to do there and even a yacht club that maybe you can find a hook up there. No small charters though as far as i could find. Good luck in your search for a cool way to propose.

·
Banned
12,359 Posts
We got married on the beach in Makenna, maui years ago hence thename of our C&C is Haleakula (the principal mountain (volcano) on Maui.

In Maaleaea Harbor (near Kihea) as I rememeber there are some smaller sailboats for charter. It is where the Pacific Whale Foundation also sails their boats for snorkeling to Molikini. Very few small boats in Maui...the wind is huge there in the channel between Maui and Lanai.

You can always go to Lahina Harbor and take the old Americas Cup boat Austrailia II for a ride. You go in the afternoon and its a lesurly 10 knots till they hit the wind line. Its a fun trip and worthwhile to any sailor. Its an old 12 meter boat and youll go faster than on any sailboat youve ever been on (excepting a cat).

Good luck,

Dave

·
SSQ74
41 Posts
Try the Alii Nui

It has been a few years since I was on it, but we used to take it every year, great boat and crew...the Kea Lani use to own it. It is a catamaran around 40ft...call the Kea Lani, I am sure they will have the contact information, the crew used to be all female (seahorse tatoo's never looked so good). Congratualtions..

·
Lost on the water...
44 Posts
There is a sailboat there called the scotch mist (maybe a 40ft boat) or something that the local booking agents know about. As I recall they were docked near Hilo Hatties? We have been out with them a couple times and I bet they would help you?

Another option is the rainbow chaser (its a cat that takes out smaller groups with a fun crew). I bet they would help you out as well, as I recall they only take 20 folks or so?

Good luck!

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
You can always go to Lahina Harbor and take the old Americas Cup boat Austrailia II for a ride.

Good luck,

Dave
Just looked it up. It is called America II or at least that is the name of the boat I can find in Maui. Thanks for the suggestion, i am definetly going to check it out.

·
Lost on the water...
44 Posts
Just looked it up. It is called America II or at least that is the name of the boat I can find in Maui. Thanks for the suggestion, i am definetly going to check it out.
FYI: They try to pack a lot of folks on that boat, it sort of reminded me of being on a school bus with all the bench seats? If you decide on this option you will be playing to a bit of a crowd & I'm not sure how romantic it would be unless you figured out a way to get the rest of the folks in on it?

For best results call a local booking agent in Maui, there are ton's of them, you many have to call a few but they will help you find exactly what your looking for..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts