SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently retro-fitting a Halman 20 for offshore work and are trying to determine a "rule-of-thumb" formula for establishing max weight capacity before the craft rides below her factory lines. I haven't had any luck finding such information online, and am hoping someone here can help. Her specs are: LOA 20', LOW 16.5', Beam 8', Draft 3', Weight 2500 lbs, Ballast 1000 lbs. The Halmans are sister ships of the Nordica 20's. By using the old (Length X Width / 15) X 150 = 1600 lbs, seems a little light... And given the the estimated sum of upgrades + stores, if 1600 lbs. is to be adhered to, then careful consideration need be taken. Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
I can't really provide you with any empirical information, but would hazard a guess that 1600 pounds seems about right for a 20 foot boat.

You'll probably get a faster answer on Boat Design Net - the Boat Design and Boat Building Site

Based on the Halman's shape/wieght you might get up to about 2000 but it's still a 20 foot boat and you'll be hard-pressed to store enough for more thn a couple of weeks non-stop sailing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts